[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shall we dispel the >translations meme already? There's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: BernardJJJ.jpg (129KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
BernardJJJ.jpg
129KB, 1280x720px
Shall we dispel the
>translations
meme already?
There's no strong case to be made in favour of original text over a good translation. If fact, 99.99% of people won't even be able to distinguish which is which unless told in advance.
Common arguments for the meme are the following three:
>1. All languages have unique properties of expression that cannot be transferred to another tongue.
This is pure bs. All languages are capable of expressing all things, language is not a limiter, a thought is.
>2. Original works carries unique properties of a culture
Another load of shit. There's no reason to assume that same properties of a culture cannot be expressed in any other language.
>3. Argument for aesthetic/musical beauty of a language
I won't argue that because it only applies to poetry in which I have no interest, and not novels. There's also an argument to be made that language is first and foremost a tool for expression, and using it for it's 'musical' properties is lateral to it's purpose at best, and fucking stupid at worst.
>>
I want to have sex with Machida.
>>
>>9020452
dumb weeb
>>
>99.99% of people won't even be able to distinguish which is which unless told in advance.
are you really this retarded
>>
>>9020452
>99.99% of people won't even be able to distinguish which is which
Source?

> All languages are capable of expressing all things
May be true, but not in the same way.

> There's no reason to assume that same properties of a culture cannot be expressed in any other language
If something like sense of humour is contained within a language, sometimes even within dialects (British v American), then even less subtle things are more so contained.

> using it for it's 'musical' properties is lateral to it's purpose at best, and fucking stupid at worst
I've no idea what you meant by this. Reading poetry in a native language works better than in any other, as there are metres, rhymes, and assonances to follow. This is obvious.

Read the Illiad in Greek, then in English. I dare you to say the English is better.
>>
Reminder to put sage into options when replying to baiting retard.
>>
>>9020485
>Source?
Secret illuminati experiments.
Ok I lied, common sense
>May be true, but not in the same way.
True, but who really cares? If english needs 2 words to describe a thing spanish describes in one, was something lost in translation, other than perhaps mythical 'pacing'?
>If something like sense of humour is contained within a language, sometimes even within dialects (British v American)
Wordplay is incredibly rare, and can be solved with a simple footnote. If the entire novel built on it, refer to the beauty argument.
>Reading poetry in a native language works better than in any other, as there are metres, rhymes, and assonances to follow.
I told you I'm not going to argue about poetry
>>
>>9020526
> I'm not going to argue with the greatest evidence against my point.
>>
>>9020531
Ok, just to calm your autism
>Shall we dispel the >translations meme when it comes to the prose?
Happy now?
>>
As somebody who can only read English translations, you're partially wrong at best. You can only judge an author's writing ability in the original language, since a translation is akin to a complete rewriting.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.