[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw low reading comprehension and can rarely find deeper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1462458588244.jpg (71KB, 704x559px) Image search: [Google]
1462458588244.jpg
71KB, 704x559px
>tfw low reading comprehension and can rarely find deeper meaning in literature/art
Is there anything I can do to get better at it or am I just fucked?
>>
Try reading philosophy to get used to thinking or just read the annotations and some reviews.
Or give up and enjoy the aesthetics, nothing bad about that.
>>
>>9020261
Make autist emotionless art. It's very hip right now
>>
>>9020261
practice, practice, practice. I'm sure there are books with annotations pertaining to analysis of the text. Watch or listen to or read critics. Go watch YourMovieSucks, especially his synecdoche review. It's not books, per say, but seeing how a person takes apart any narrative might give you some ideas about which questions to ask yourself while reading.
>>
>>9020261
>low reading comprehension

is it a language ability problem or a failure to recognise themes? If it's the former, read more; if it's the latter, read easier allegorical books to recognise patterns or read something with lots of annotations like Shakespeare
>>
>>9020268
>>9020294
Thanks anons, I really expected 30 variations of "kill yourself pleb" as responses.
>>
>>9020261
Nothing. You were born this way and the only cure is death.
>>
>>9020308
I think this is something a lot of us struggle with and you presented yourself humbly, and at the end of the day I think we all like to read, would like to read better, and would like to have more people in the world to share these things with. Good luck anon.
>>
>>9020261
Switch off everything, phone tv etc. Embrace the silence, oh how melodramatic, and just follow whatever tugs you. Or run through, suffer since you're not comprehending as you want to, some of the cannon and something may click. If not... sorry Martha but this just ain't for you.
>>
Learn to be an active reader. Check youtube. My recommendation is try to write questions about what you're reading and then answer them either as you read or after.

Also
>How to Read Literature Like a Professor
>Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose
>How to Read and Why by Harold Bloom
>Norton Anthology of Criticism
>>
>>9020261
"deeper meaning" is the densest wool the academy has ever pulled over man's eyes
>>
>>9020261
honest to god read Blake and you'll be able to spot "loss of innocence" in absolutely fucking everything
>>
>>9020261
Start programming now. You have a hidden talent just waiting to be discovered.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.