[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on this? http://www.slate.com/articles/life/ the_s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Dsiax9h.jpg (197KB, 1280x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Dsiax9h.jpg
197KB, 1280x1333px
Opinions on this?

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_spectator/2011/04/is_ulysses_overrated.html

I'm re-reading Ulysses myself along with Ulysses Annotated, and wow, am I loving it. Understanding the majority of clear references allows me to focus on what Joyce was doing, i.e., as far as I can tell and crudely put it: examining life's minutiae and portraying it beautifully with words. This Rosenbaum queerbo, as much as I like to hear the other side of things, makes some bold claims.

>Ulysses is an overwrought, overwritten epic of gratingly obvious, self-congratulatory, show-off erudition that, with its overstuffed symbolism and leaden attempts at humor, is bearable only by terminal graduate students who demand we validate the time they've wasted reading it.

He also says that the only people who defend the book are English majors who only do so because they want to back up a reason for slogging through the thing.

AND, the most striking thing he writes is about the Molly Bloom soliloquy. He says men always make fools of themselves in talking about that chapter, because they say, "I really related to Molly Bloom, you know."

REALLY? Is that what men say? That they related to Molly Bloom? Holy shit, /lit/, if anything, on a first read-through from someone whose experience in literature is relatively mediocre, I can say that I sympathized, not empathized, with Molly Bloom. If that chapter doesn't enlighten your view on women, it should at least challenge it.
>>
>>9019051
>tfw a white male writes about the female experience better than any female has

lmao female writers actually btfo
>>
Slate? no thanks
>>
>>9019056
lmao this. don't even need to click the link senpai
>>
File: 1481970579910.jpg (859KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1481970579910.jpg
859KB, 1024x683px
>>9019051
>>
Clickbait bullshit. The author doesn't have an opinion he has a job to do.
>>
>>9019051
>If that chapter doesn't enlighten your view on women, it should at least challenge it.
Didn't that chapter have these half a dozen parts where she generally thinks like a whore and about doing Stephen?
>>
Has /lit/ ever considered annotating Ulysses themselves?

I'd read it
>>
>>9019051
If anyone ever writes a sentence that dense in opposition to something, then they're pretty fucking mad, senpai.
>>
>>9019730

The job has already been done, and it's been done better than we could ever do it.

btw has anyone listened to Frank Delaney's re:Joyce? It's really great. Delaney is very entertaining and knowledgeable.
>>
>>9019051
>>Ulysses is an overwrought, overwritten epic of gratingly obvious, self-congratulatory, show-off erudition that, with its overstuffed symbolism and leaden attempts at humor, is bearable only by terminal graduate students who demand we validate the time they've wasted reading it.
Based.

Also, basing the success of your whole """oeuvre""" solely on pop culture references and puns is a great way to make sure it doesn't stand the test of time.
>>
>>9019805
Started it but never completed. Worth a listen there's just a lot of it.
>>
>>9019843
Isn't this what Pynchon does? I haven't read any of his stuff, that's just the impression I get from how this board discusses him
>>
Any Chad could read Ulysses Annotted, but Ulysses is a bigger beast in terms of relative amount of fidelity needed to understand its thematic episodes. While its cookie-cutter prose to the pros that often return to its pages, you'll be interested in both its conversation and typographical girth.

Annotted lures you in at first, making you think you have everything you need to make it a bookshelf-centerpiece, but you soon learn that it takes you through the motions of various epicenters of the world, thus challenging you to ride it out.
>>
>rosenbaum
>>
That article is obviously a substansless click-bait piece designed to reassure young professionals who "don't have the time to read" since leaving college that they have ultimately made the correct choice in forgoeing the lifestyle that would have seen them granted access to to such works and who are increasingly realizing that they may never read a substantial work of literary fiction again and feel anxiety and inferiority because of it.
>>
>>9020195
All of this.
>>
>>9019723
Yes
>>
>>9020195
Ding ding ding

The entire article is a lump of insecurity. As are all criticisms of "pretentiousness" and "erudition"
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.