[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what exactly should I read before i get into this semen demon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

So what exactly should I read before i get into this semen demon? I know, Frege and Russell, but what works of theirs exactly?
>>
>>9018820
badump
>>
on the technical side, if you're starting with TLP, you can get away with knowing the basics of first order logic with quantifiers and a little bit of set theory. more seriously, you could study the basics of Principia Mathematica by Russel and Whitehead, and Frege's Grundgesetze (Basic Laws of Arithmetic).

on the more traditionally philosophical side, Russell's 'On Denoting' is important and his 'The Philosophy of Logical Atomism' is helpful since it was heavily influenced by the TLP, which was still unpublished at the time, and covers some similar ground. for Frege, his articles 'On Sense and Reference' (Uber Sinn und Bedeutug) and 'The Thought' (Der Gedanke) are important, and his book 'The Foundations of Arithmetic' (Die Grunlagen) is also important for understanding the whole logicist project in the first place

for PI, just start with TLP (plus the above) and then read some of the stuff in between, especially Blue and Brown books
>>
>>9018929
thanks so much my main man
>>
>>9018929
>Actually reading Principia Mathematica

I have a decent understanding of logic, foundations of mathematics, and set theory as well as a little bit of formal languages/automata, model theory, lambda calculus, and category theory, and let me tell you, nobody studying/working in contemporary mathematics or philosophy actually reads/studies the Pricipia Mathematica. A lot of it's unnecessarily verbose, the notation is outdated, and a lot of the methods have since evolved or been simplified. E.g. the natural numbers generally aren't defined as equivallence classes of equipollent sets (i.e. on the basis of Hume's Principle, which was used by Russell and Whitehead), but rather on the basis of Van Neumann ordinals.

You're best bet would be to study some very basic predicate logic (just enough so that you understand the notation), and then maybe a few essays by Russell and Frege (namely the one's you mentioned). Frege "The Foundations of Arithemetic" would probably be you best bet.
>>
>>9018980
do you have any resource recs for learning predicate logic?
>>
>>9019041
http://www.sfu.ca/~jeffpell/Ling324/fjpSlides6.pdf
This is pretty good, but it looks like it might be a little complicated for someone not already familiar with logic or more advanced math.

Your best bet is to try some introductory discrete mathematics textbook. I've used Rosen's Discrete Mathematics textbook and I think it presented a brief although decent introduction.
>>
>>9019122
much appreciated
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.