[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw can't bear to give up on long boring venerated books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

>tfw can't bear to give up on long boring venerated books because people will call me a pleb if I do
>>
Don't worry, they suck dude. The people who will call you a pleb don't understand them either, they just like saying they do because it makes them look more intelligent.
>>
Good

Maybe you will grow to like them and stop being a stupid frogposter
>>
>tfw years later you overcome your insecurity but discover you can't enjoy easy fun books anymore
>>
>>9018076
Just take a break and maybe come back later. This was me with Joyce, and now I genuinely value his work.
>>
>>9018135

But it's happening in reverse. I read mason and Dixon a few years ago and liked it. I'm reading it now and it ranges from passable pointlessness to utterly unwarranted serious stretches. Fuck this.

The same for white noise by DeLillo. First I liked it, then I went to read it again later and it was just one big joke that I didn't find funny, so I didn't finish it a second time.

Also crime and punishment.
>>
>>9018076
If you find them boring you're already a pleb.

Patricians are born, not made. You're probably out of luck.
>>
>>9018258
This is quite liberating. Now I can read my manga and genre fiction with peace of mind.
>>
>>9018258

Not true at all.
>>
>>9018076
I couldn't get through The Prisoner of Azkaban myself. Luckily, I saw the movies and they follow the books pretty closely, so I should be alright if someone calls me out.
>>
>>9018164
Mason and Dixon was just Pynchon-by-Numbers. Crime and Punishment has its flaws too (Dostoyevsky's style is awkward, and his morals were medieval.)

What's happening is that you're developing a critical faculty. It's a good sign. Now you can stop reading works you're expected to like, and find ones you truly like.
>>
>>9018164
reading something twice is pointless. nothing new to discover (unless you suck at comprehending what you read the first time) so your mind will fight it
>>
>>9019600
>nothing new to discover
Except whether it's any good or not.

It's surprising how mediocre prose falls apart on subsequent reading. And if you're trying something dense and difficult, further reading is essential.
>>
>>9019618
both of those should be possible when you read sonething the first time...
>>
>>9018087
>I didn't understand the book so everyone else must be pretending when they say that they did.

Some classics that are memed on here are boring, but fuck off with this dumb shit.
>>
>>9019600
>>9019642
not with nonfiction
>>
File: nabhead.jpg (56KB, 500x626px) Image search: [Google]
nabhead.jpg
56KB, 500x626px
>>9019600
>>
>TFW behind schedule because of Anna Karenina being boring.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.