[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get back into reading? I used to read all the time when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

How do I get back into reading? I used to read all the time when I was younger, but I have a hard time getting into books now, I can't imagine anything.
>>
>>9014808
Take a good long break from using screens for entertainment.
>>
>be interested in something
>read about it
>>
>>9014822
That's impossible. And would that even actually work?

>>9014841
I'm not talking about non-fiction.
>>
>>9014845
Sure. The internet is junk food. You eat chips all day, you spoil your dinner and get unhealthy. It's hard to quit, but absolutely worthwhile. Eventually you can come back when your self control is such that you can limit yourself to reasonable portions.
>>
>>9014845
It really isn't impossible, either. Just exercise a little bit of self control. Be okay with being bored sometimes too. If you really have to set up a timer or something to keep yourself on track
>>
>>9014869
>>9014879
>You eat chips all day
Cheez-It's.

And I meant it's impossible because film and filmmaking is my passion, so taking a long break from "using screens for entertainment" is difficult. Honestly, I wish I had got this advice way back. My laptops been fucked up for months, it would've been the perfect opportunity for me to take a break, but my new computer arrives tomorrow.
>>
>>9014808
Read Harry Potter (1-8). You'll be the most patrician user on this board.
>>
>>9014808
>>be interested in something
>>read about it

Pretty much what this guy's said. Are there any kinds of non literature entertainment you really like,(movies video games, TV?) . Get into the expanded universes of those things if books are available. Or maybe read the book a favorite movie is based on. I didn't read for enjoyment for a very long time and I picked up the Bioshock prequel book on a whim, and it really broke the ice and reminded me how much enjoyment can be had for books.
>>
File: IMG_1877.jpg (150KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1877.jpg
150KB, 266x400px
Read a book that's 100-200 pages that shouldn't take long or a book that was taught at school that seemed interesting but you never had that class or like me, didn't pay attention in class. I'm back into full blown reading after reading "The Time Machine" and then "The Jungle" i might read "The Stranger" next or something by HP Lovecraft.
>>
>>9015090
>Get into the expanded universes of those things if books are available.
I'll try with Star Trek or Doctor Who, I don't know if it'll either will help my imagination spring back to life, but it's worth a shot. Akira is my favorite movie and reading the manga doesn't really help since everything is drawn out.

My other favorite movie is The Jungle Book, I'd try reading that, but the old language would probably trip me up.
>>
>>9015165
I never could get into A Catcher in the Rye, maybe I can try that again. I'll have to find my copy.
>The Time Machine
That was my favorite book in 4th grade, I read an abridged version. Is the unabridged worth it if I'm already very familiar with the story? I also read one of the Narnia books around that time, The Magician's Nephew, I think. That should be simple and quick enough. I remember really enjoying that book.
>>
>>9015392
Nice man, Akira is one of my favorites too. Haven't read the manga but if you liked the graphic novel format, The Watchmen is great too. The great artwork would be a nice treat too to somebody who is just getting back to reading.
>>
>>9015427
I already read Watchmen years ago. I'm on the 2nd volume of Akira, I just haven't had any time to start it. Luckily, I have this week off.
>>
>run 5 miles a day
>listen to audiobooks while running
>the 5 miles takes me a bit less than an hour
>running + changing + walk to and from the gym amount to more than 2 hours of listening a day

How bad is listening to audiobooks compared to reading?
>>
>>9015441
How do you focus on the book if you're running?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.