[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When I was young I used to read a lot of fiction, like Redwall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: images (1).jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
6KB, 275x183px
When I was young I used to read a lot of fiction, like Redwall and such.

I fell out of the habit, and now I'm trying to catch up with the classics.

However, there is one problem:

Reading is little more than scanning the pages, feeling what I'm ought to feel according to the story, and then shelving the book and moving on to the next one.

But then, on the contrary to this, you can find countless essays on the themes and whatnot of a single book, and that is what intrigues me.

So it may sound stupid, but... How do I learn to read more deeply?
>>
Pull the trigger.
>>
Best reason to read deeply is to communicate, so the best way to read deeply is to write.
>>
File: reading face.jpg (32KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
reading face.jpg
32KB, 500x375px
>>9012639
When you are reading scrunch up your face while reading. Make sure you are straining your facial muscles. Your face should be sore after a reading session. Remember no pain no gain.
>>
Bump.

I don't think it's a ridiculous question, considering that there are entire university courses dedicated to the dissection of literature. Please help.
>>
>>9012646
This

I often pick up on literary techniques and devices by imagining myself writing. It's not perfect; I'm not the person whose book I'm reading. But, for some reason, you need to write (to some extent) to be able to read (again, to some extent).
>>
>>9012639
>Reading is little more than scanning the pages, feeling what I'm ought to feel according to the story, and then shelving the book and moving on to the next one.

That's where you're wrong. On the one hand, a good author can manipulate the reader's feelings and impressions, and some stories are really just that. But to read deeply you have to engage intellectually with the material. Exit the emotional system of the book, and think about what it all means.

When character X dies, what did the author mean by that? You might be sad at the death until you realize something like "oh, the author has been alluding to death as not being the end. He implies life after death". So then what would traditionally be a sad ending could be turned into a happy one. A story can gain layers of meaning as you pick it apart, and that, to me, is the greatest joy of reading and writing.
>>
>>9012639
>you can find countless essays on the themes and whatnot of a single book, and that is what intrigues me.

Do you actually read those essays?
>>
Even if you don't necessarily believe it, try to imagine there is some objective truth or emotion the author is trying to express. Perhaps more importantly, pay attention to the methods he or she uses to do this. If you don't know where to begin, try looking up a basic list of these mechanisms.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.