[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good psycholgy books i should read? The six pillars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: nathaniel-branden-photo.jpg (2MB, 2000x3008px) Image search: [Google]
nathaniel-branden-photo.jpg
2MB, 2000x3008px
What are some good psycholgy books i should read?

The six pillars of self esteem by Nathaniel Branden has more or less saved my life, by providing the psychological tools i needed to fix my self esteem, accept my past and my dysfunctional family and so on.

Then i read 'The psychology of romantic love' and it further made complete sense of all my relationships and taught me what to look for from now on.

It has however also opened up my appetite, i have found the solutions to many of my (and other peoples') problems in a few of his other books. It's like 5 years worth of therapy sessions done in a few days of reading.

I'm looking to continue this journey of discovery but i don't know in what direction to go. There's so many books out there, some new, some older, some good, some maybe not so good, can anyone make any recomandations?
>>
Psychology is evil.
>>
>>9012060
Go hardcore with Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson. No lie. You'll love it, buddy. Trust me.
>>
Anon, I'd say don't read psychology books for that. Go see a psychoanalyst. If you are reading these books to work on your own problems, please read on the concept of transference, you'll see there is a great difference between reading on something, even if inspirational and so on, than actually talking with another, confronting your own situation, learning to see its particularities and working on them.
>>
>>9012429
No offense, but this is infantile and slavish. If the guy himself says he's getting better from reading books, why make him dependent/have him waste money on psychoanalysis? I feel like you're just parroting beliefs blindly or are a psychoanalyst shill IMO.
>>
>>9012434
Non taken. Perhaps you're right and perhaps anon should read the books.

I admit I answer from a very personal point of view that might not actually match OP's experience.For a time in my life I used to read everything that was self-help and psychology, about family and myths and personal journey, etc. I see myself in OP. I thought I was gaining much from it too, my life seemed to have changed. Later on problems continue to appear(naturally), but neurosis kicked in harder than before, as I felt I was failing all that I've read before. "If they gave me useful tools, and I'm still struggling, is the problem me?". It was only when I started to go to analysis that I was able to rework these matters in a way that is much more substantial. Sometimes these authors are extremely logical in their arguments, and they give nice insights, but quite often we are also taken by their words without actually listening to ourselves. They may tell all about the problem with self-esteem and offer a solution that seem to work, but by the time you read the solution, you already identifiy yourself with what he described as a low self-esteem person. But perhaps "low self-esteem" is not a sufficient way to describe your situation, the issue can be more complicated than that. That's why I think books like that can cloud our judgement, sometimes. It's very hard, specially when you are at a confusing moment of your life, to reflect on your own position in life and be critical of what you're reading.

I guess everyone do with what they have. This is just my two cents.
>>
>>9012060
Don't confuse psychology with self-help. Psychology goes in journals, not pop bookstores.
>>
On Becoming a Person by Carl Rodgers
>>
i dunno about psychology. most self help books are shit, but two of which i read were good
models - mark manson
no more mr nice guy - rober glover

models is about dating, no more mr nice guy is about not being needy. if you need any help in those 2 areas, read em. they short.
>>
>>9012471
Thank you for your post, however i feel we have had different experiences altogether. Indeed i have faced new challenges in my life but now i just smile at them, my anxiety has vanished and i'm at peace with absolutely everything. I know how to assert myself, how to take responsibility for what i must, and how to let it go in matters which i have no control over, i feel i have a purpose now and everythings going great. Once you learn the inner worrkings of self esteem nothing is a mystery anymore so there's no reason for long term unhappiness.

Kinda like if you're fat, and you read up enough on the subject so as to learn about the glycemic index of foods, how proteins work, how muscles develop, how the body burns fat, how to do effective cardio, weight lifting systems, what exercises to do, how to diet, all it takes is a little work and you're fit and healthy in no time. And even if you binge on pizza for a whole month and get a little chub, it's never a catastrophe cause you know exactly how to fix it.

I highly recommend the six pillars book, it's a very in depth analysis of how the mind works and what needs to be done to rid the mind of anxiety, unhappiness, depression, etc. Worked for me.
>>
Ecrits by Jacques Lacan really changed my life for the better. Stopped drinking, became a manic extrovert, and got a hot gf.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.