[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one allude to emotion in Literature without explicitly,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: pepe.png (98KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
98KB, 612x491px
How does one allude to emotion in Literature without explicitly, obviously stating it or making cheap symbolism?

How did Joyce do it?
>>
Dialogue
>>
I don't think there's any 'wrong' way to convey emotion apart from "He was angry" or something like that, as long as you vary the way you do it, it shouldn't get boring. Things in books usually annoy you because they're repeated too much
>>
>>9007316
But with Joyce you get this sense of emotion when reading the work, a sense of disappointment or shame.

I can't tell if this is just a projection or if it's actually there.

>>9007286
I'll work on my dialogue, thanks.
>>
Thoughts, feelings, and physiological events always happen simultaneously.

A good writer knows this, and will refer to one to get the reader to sense the other. The one to mention explicitly is the one that, in that moment of the story, appears to matter the least.
>>
>>9007317
Thoughts. Symbols. Dialogue. Allusions.
>>
When I want to convey emotion (and I usually write poetry) I don't use dialogue or allusions or something that needs to convey.
I use the nature around emotion.
There is a great writer from my land, Petar Kocic, who wrote like this. Say, A was angry. He wouldn't write A is angry/seething/... or use a talk "Would you...?" -- "Just how dare you!!!"
No, he writes.
"The wolves howled from the bare hilltops rounding like barrels covered with an unnerving coldness, stemming from the rain never crossed the top."
Or when he's happy.
"The peak shined in all its glory showing the walkers that no rain was coming and plants are about to eat."

You get the gist-- it's a bit hard to translate his prose-- use the terrain our his surroundings.
>>
Post results, OP.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.