[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Everyone talks about books "changing their lives",

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 308732.jpg (48KB, 318x458px) Image search: [Google]
308732.jpg
48KB, 318x458px
Everyone talks about books "changing their lives", but did a book ever impact you in weird little ways?

For example, I only wear rings on my left hand, because of a scene in The Wanderer I read when I was a kid.

I'm not sure why, I wasn't copying the character, it just stuck with me.

Any similar stories?
>>
War and Peace started me down a long road of cracking Freemason jokes
>>
>>9003229
share some will ya
>>
>>9003233

They're really rudimentary. Often when I see their symbol on a number of local government buildings I'll comment that it's nice to know that they're watching us so intently.

I also tend to arbitrarily tie Masonic conspiracies and their ancient magics to any ailment or issue I feel is being excessively griped about. I often explore this absurd comment in a particularly targeted way to make it seem like the entirety of their extensive organization was made specifically to get Chili's plumbing messed up so that we were all forced to go to Denny's.

In retrospect it might sound like schizophrenia to anyone who doesn't see them as doddering old money with a kink for arranging buildings in certain old world shapes.
>>
>>9003204
Great post!!

I've found this happens all the time, but not typically on such a long-term scale... I mean, your life-long habit of jewelry wearing sounds like the definition of a "life-changing" literay expirence to me. ^_^

But I get what you mean, something subtle? I'm often affected by the book I'm reading in subtle ways. After reading Limits of Vision, washing the dishes has never been the same. I've also come to see the daily dirtying/disorganization of my house as a personal attack aganit me, by some evil fource. (One of the only books I hated while reading, but read through anyway [it was short], and came to remember fondly.)

I will also pick up mannerisms and sayings of some of my favorite characters - but just for play. They never stick. I just like to imagine what a certain character would do in a situation that I'm experiencing.
>>
>>9003204
If that counts, Story of the Eye gave me a piss fetish and the fantasy of being strangled to death by a girl.
>>
>>9004685
Mmmm. I don't know if that counts. I mean, discovering a kink is just finding something that was already there, right? And who doesn't want to be strangled to death by a girl, honestly.
>>
>>9004463
Why are you doing this
>>
>>9003204
It's not explicit in the book The Haunting of Hill House, but is in one of the early movies
>I sleep on my left side [because I read somewhere it wears out the heart faster]
>>
>>9003204
Willam S. Burroughs Naked Lunch made me want to get my asshole licked.
>>
>>9004280
You have a certain je ne sais quoi that I like, anon
>>
Ever since i read Metro 2033, i evaluate the metro systems of cities in terms of chance of survival of the inhabitants. And i imagine how life would be in certain stations i come across.
>>
>>9004463
Holy fucking shit.
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>9005733
well, which ones are the safest?
>>
When I was a kid I read this series the Lost Years of Merlin, which if I remember correctly was pretty good for YA. Anyways, all the characters had this pain between their shoulder blades, and in the last book it's revealed that they used to have wings before they lost them through evolution or something. So now whenever I have back pain my mind jumps to the idea that it's residual pain from wings.

Also, I read the His Dark Materials series as a kid, and whenever I pick up an especially sharp looking knife I try to tear a hole in reality like the subtle knife.
>>
>>9007230
that's really weird
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.