[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I find Sartre's ideas very interesting but I'm not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: sartre_22.jpg (67KB, 730x732px) Image search: [Google]
sartre_22.jpg
67KB, 730x732px
I find Sartre's ideas very interesting but I'm not smart enough to read his complicated prose. How could I learn about him without having to read his actual books?
>>
you already know enough to discuss him on /lit/
>>
read camus
>>
>>9003119
Existentialism is a humanism is easy to read as are his novels. Start small then work up to b&n
>>
>>9003119

What ideas?

His whole philosophy is one profound misreading of Heidegger.
>>
>>9003154
As if a guy who smokes a pipe like that could be wrong about anything.
>>
>>9003154
le dreyfus meme
>>
Christine Daigle's Sartre book is incredibly straight forward and covers how his phenomenological ontology grounds consciousness and freedom and how that develops into his theory on personal relationships, etc. It's arranged thematically and charts the development really well pointing out where his fiction intersects with his essays. It helped me actually understand what the fucking point of Nausea was and I found it incredibly helpful during my undergrad course.
>>
>>9003202
Iv read Nausea. Could you please enlighten to what its core message was?
>>
>>9003211
it's just "life is what you make of it" 2bh
>>
>>9003211
Being-in-itself (ie stuff without consciousness) is fundamentally characterised by complete contingency. It just exists, without meaning. Roquentin's illness is his realisation of this and that it is consciousness alone that negates being-in-itself, produces 'nothingness' and ultimately any meaning that the phenomenal world has.

So the illness is fully realising and processing what Sartre's ontology actually says: contingent being-in-itself is meaningless.
>>
File: Bill-Hader-Holding-in-Laugh.gif (492KB, 176x216px) Image search: [Google]
Bill-Hader-Holding-in-Laugh.gif
492KB, 176x216px
>wasting time on Sartre
>>
>>9003294
>No Exit was a bigger waste of time than browsing /lit/
>>
>>9003329
Yes
>>
>>9003223
This guy was right>>9003154

He really didn't understand Heidegger.
>>
File: drkatz.gif (332KB, 518x350px) Image search: [Google]
drkatz.gif
332KB, 518x350px
>>9003333
You may be right in that I am stuck here forever with you assholes.
THIS IS HELL.
>>
>>9003294
95% of philosophers ars useless the only philosophers that matter are the ones that stray the furthest away from the discipline
>>
File: 1481912963496.jpg (4KB, 250x140px) Image search: [Google]
1481912963496.jpg
4KB, 250x140px
>existentialism
>>
>>9003223
If I dont understand this reply should I stop reading and apply for a job and the local factory?

Im beginning to lose hope that I will ever jettison my plebian genetics
>>
>>9003402
No.

There's a weird thing on 4chan with philosophy. People treat it like something that should be understood without much education.

Nobody expects somebody to understand papers on particle physics without education, but people think they should be able to understand Aristotlean metaphysics on first read after reading the equivalent of a primary school book on philosophy.
>>
Here ya go bud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQsZxDQgzU
>>
>>9003119
you could always google him
>>
>>9003358
Sartre is a fucking existentialist
nuff said
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.