[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /lit/, I've got a question fer yer. For the majority

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Holy-Bible21.jpg (76KB, 1050x839px) Image search: [Google]
Holy-Bible21.jpg
76KB, 1050x839px
Okay /lit/, I've got a question fer yer.

For the majority of my life I've been an atheist, started in my early edgy pre teen ages and has persisted into my twenties (I'm 25 right now).

I'd say the majority of my life has been... Sort of an existential crisis you might say.

Anyway, all that aside, nowadays I'm far more open minded about things and I suppose I'm ready to actually read The Bible.

My question is, which is the best, most complete version? Preferably both Old and New Testaments, I've heard more than once that the KJV is pretty shitty, cuts out a lot so I dunno which version to go with.

Do you think it'll actually help me, or like, I'm thinking it'll probably be, depress the shit out of me?
>>
It'll help you only if you turn off your brain while reading it. It can be comforting to believe in a guaranteed paradise, even if you have to turn off all your rational faculties to reach it.
>>
>>9002466
I highly, HIGHLY recommend getting commentaries. I've studied both the Greek and Hebrew translations and most English translations are so trashy in some areas.

Along with translation, it will explain the nuances, the histories, and cultural significance of passages.

Anyways, good luck anon. Wishing you the best.
>>
>>9002493

I think it helps a lot if you don't take religious texts like the Bible *literally* and take it with a grain of salt, or as something symbolic instead. Treat God as a universal concept as opposed to a floaty-man in the sky, you know?
>>
>>9002580
Phew, so I'm not the only one here who doesn't really believe this stuff?

Every board I go on anymore are akin to fascist /pol/faggot trump memeing shitters.
>>
>>9002466
KJV isn't the most accurate, but it's the most beautiful English in existence.

Start with the NT. If you can find faith, great, but faith comes from personal spiritual experience, not from books.
>>
>>9002641
Had a really vivid dream a couple years ago, where I was lying in my bed, pulled towards the ceiling, once I lay with my belly against the ceiling, I was slammed hard down onto my bed, thrown onto the floor and then pulled toward a chasm that opened in the floor. Jesus was suspended from the knobs of my dresser drawer and he grinned at me as I went into the pit.

The crazy thing is, this is the only dream I can recall where I could FEEL what was happening, I could feel myself slide across the wooden floor, get thrown around, slammed on my bed.

I woke in a sweat and freaked the fuck out.

Although, I had smoked a ton of weed before I fell asleep but still...

I've been really uncertain since that dream.

I don't think Jesus likes me very much : /

I dunno what I believe anymore.
>>
File: lattimore_newtestament.jpg (264KB, 1234x1200px) Image search: [Google]
lattimore_newtestament.jpg
264KB, 1234x1200px
>>9002466
>>
>>9002466
Most organized religion is pretty much a giant meme.

Read Conversations With God instead.
>>
>>9002675
>weed

Well there's your problem!

And Jesus loves you, no matter what. That's the nature of Jesus. God is love.

Ever heard of universalism?
>>
>>9002684
Then why is hell a thing and why are we freely allowed to go there?
>>
>>9002682
>Read Conversations With God instead

>>"a voice over his right shoulder say: "Do you really want an answer to all these questions or are you just venting?"

Why is it that when I've prayed, I never hear a voice or get any sort of response? Why is God so selective of who he chats with?
>>
>>9002689
That's why I asked what you know about universalism. Purgatorial universalism, in particular, is the idea that hell is temporary. Sinners are sent to hell to clean them up for heaven. All will be reconciled to God, and every knee will bow and every tongue confess Christ. Hell will go empty.

But it still matters what we do, because what we do influences what we become. In heaven, everyone's glass will be full, but by preparing ourselves we can get to heaven with a bigger glass, with a greater capacity to enjoy God's presence.

Secular society doesn't give a good understanding of Christianity, it will tell you that Christianity is about judgment and heaven and hell and that's it; ideas like these are totally foreign to it. Christianity is more nuanced than they say. The Bible is more nuanced than they say.
>>
>>9002700
You wanted to know more about god. I happened across this thread at 2 in the morning and decided to share a book with you that helped me develop my worldview.

Take it as you will.
>>
>>9002708
It's 11:39 PM actually.
>>
>>9002726
Fucking Californians.
>>
>>9002746
West Coast Best Coast
>>
>>9002746
Oregon, FAGGOT.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.