[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do philosophers like these two value solitude? Isn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: schopnietzsche2.jpg (156KB, 762x500px) Image search: [Google]
schopnietzsche2.jpg
156KB, 762x500px
Why do philosophers like these two value solitude? Isn't it unhealthy?
>>
>>9000685
because they had mental problems and didn't noticed
>>
>>9000685
because company usually involves inferior roastwhores, i.e. women

REAL men avoid women, especially modern degenerate whores who only crave cock and money. The white man is best left alone so he can pursue his ethical nature, where he can remain pure
>>
>>9000702
so you can suck their dick and let them vitamin your ass, right?
>>
>>9000685
The fetishizing of solitude is, but I think in this instance both pic related could be psychoanalytically read to deduce that these dudes obviously had social-interaction issues. But, I can't really agree that Nietzsche particularly invokes solitude anymore so than, say, the Tibetan Buddhists would, or something along those ascetic lines. In fact, as I was typing out that last line, I'm even skeptical to say Nietzsche would want someone to follow asceticism unless it was truly their generative means by which to be in the world (which are loaded terms for Nietzsche, obviously). If anything, solitude is just a hangover from Enlightenment Rationalism, and both of them inevitably either adopt and adapt this unconsciously or engage with it solely as a means by which to project their own intellectual projects on secure, positivist grounds (again, this statement doesn't really hold for Nietzsche, I think).
>>
>NEETzsche
>solitude
Nigga literally lived with his mom who made him tendies every day
>>
>>9000685
Another thing that I left out was the obvious Platonic reading, meaning

If philosopher, then not society.

It's really an old commitment. I'm sure Nietzsche would've taken it up, ironically, with humorous scorn. Schopenhauer is just a pessimistic ass who would've invoked it regardless of the weird metaphysical commitments.

Also keep in mind that they are both, ultimately, writers. It had long since been an established tradition for writer's to feign some sort of removed status from society as to thereby garner an objective vantage point, which obviously doesn't always work out.
>>
File: 9780485121339-uk.jpg (11KB, 307x475px) Image search: [Google]
9780485121339-uk.jpg
11KB, 307x475px
>>9000713
>If anything, solitude is just a hangover from Enlightenment Rationalism, and both of them inevitably either adopt and adapt this unconsciously or engage with it solely as a means by which to project their own intellectual projects on secure, positivist grounds (again, this statement doesn't really hold for Nietzsche, I think).

I've not read Schopenhauer, but I think you're right that the statement isn't entirely accurate for Nietzsche. From what I've read, and especially from what I've seen paraphrased from pic related, solitude is not 'a means by which to project their own intellectual projects on secure, positivist grounds' but exactly the opposite, an extreme risk of losing all ground.

From the Klossowski book (I'm going to be stealing all my quotes from here http://philosophy.stackexchange.com/questions/3048/what-is-klossowskis-conception-of-the-relation-between-impulse-phantasm-and-si):
' . . . the intelligibility of everything that can only be thought (since we can form no thought that is not constrained by the rules of institutional language) is derived from the gregarious morality of truthfulness - and in this sense the principle of truthfulness itself implies gregariousness.'

The social or collective (or 'gregarious') world of 'institutional language' and norms of ethics and standards of judgement then seems to be what for Nietzsche secures the philosophical project, the necessary medium of intelligible argument and public discourse without which you would be a lone, incoherent madman. For Klossowski, the paradox at the heart of Nietzsche's work is the tension between the reason for doing philosophical work (a singular intensity of the soul) and the means by which that work is done (translating that intensity into the social and everyday world of repeatable representations)

A Nietzsche passage sums up the sinister side of the need to join a collective:
"You shall be knowable, express yourself by clear and constant signs - otherwise you are dangerous; and if you are evil, your ability to dissimulate is the worst thing for the herd. We despise the secret and the unrecognizable."
>>
>>9000685
Because solitude is patrician. True Ubermensch know the value of solitude.

"Never have I been so happy with myself than during the sickest and most painful moments of my life." – Friedrich Nietzsche
>>
>>9000770
That's probably one of the prettiest deconstructions I've read (BTFO Derrida). Thanks for sharing it.

My statement speaks more to the project than the method. I think you're right in saying Nietzsche particularly is aware of the necessity of public discourse by which to maintain a platform of truth (and thus, cannot rely on solitude as a means by which to do that). I think it's more of the superficial project of removing oneself from society to then begin analyzing that Nietzsche adopts. Naturally, he can't extend beyond language, and if we are to take language as a sort of metaphysical extension of the social, then it is contradictory to say that he is outside of society, but I concede that it may just be a mistake on good ole Nietzsche's part to think the voice of his texts are beyond the social and thus in the realm of solitude. But perhaps we can then look to the Nietzsche of Thus Spake Zarathustra who is down in society when he really begins philosophy (that being whenever his speeches are met with public discourse). But maybe I'm locking Nietzsche into a system he would of rejected (Platonic or Hegelian dialecticism). On either account, thanks for the Klossowski.
>>
>this thread
>"muh they had mental problems"

nice slave morality, herd.
>>
god this place has gone to shit
>>
>>9001108
people have been saying this for years now
>>
>>9000685
You have to get away from distractions to introspect.
>>
>>9000692
>if you are not an extroverted turbo chad then you have mental problems
>>
>>9001023
I find it ironic that the philosopher of ressentiment was not himself immune to it. See his remarks on women. Funny how he made his maladjustment a virtue, thus the enshrinement of solitude. It doesn't get more "reactive" than that, i.e. slave morality. Philosophy as an "unconscious biography" lol
>>
>>9000713
>psychoanalytically
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.