[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start writing horror and I'm looking for recommended

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 12562463464.jpg (233KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
12562463464.jpg
233KB, 1280x853px
I want to start writing horror and I'm looking for recommended writers of the genre. I've nearly finished the Complete Fiction of Lovecraft and then I'll be moving on to Edgar Allan Poe and Bram Stoker, as well as reading short stories by other writers. What other greats of the genre should I read to get an idea of structure, pacing, and atmosphere?
>>
Good places to start.

Try reading some Stephen King if you haven't already. His prose can be pretty awful and he is pretty much the McDonald's of authors, but he can really come up some disturbing monsters and imagery and does a good job of saturating a setting with tension. At least read IT, maybe Rose Madder and Salem's Lot.

For a more experimental approach, try House of Leaves, might teach you to think around corners.

I dunno if I'd call it horror but Lord of the Flies is an interesting look at humans as monsters (even children).
>>
>>8999329
Stephen King is one I've been wary on picking up. I do admire his ability to just write and keep on writing no matter what, even if his prose is severely lacking. I own a copy of his book Cell but I never got past the half way point. I'll definitely pick up IT at some point though.

House of Leaves looks really interesting, I'll definitely read it at some point, the layout of the pages alone has got me interested.

I've never read Lord of the Flies, something that is to my shame, even though I'm always recommended it. I'll end up reading anyway seeing as its regarded as a staple of English literature.
>>
There is a Japanese author named Otsuichi who writes interesting horror stories. In particular his works compiled in "Goth" and "Summer, Fireworks and My Corpse" are good. He has a short story collection called "Zoo" which also has a bunch of good reads.
>>
>>8999421
I wouldn't bother finishing Cell. In fact, I wouldn't bother with anything he's written after 2000.

But you know, King, as corny as he can be sometimes, is actually a pretty good authority on the subject of the horror genre and has written reams of advice, recommended reading lists, and analysis.

If you really want a good look at the whole iceberg, check out his non-fiction book, Danse Macabre.
>>
Gothic fiction is good if you want to go Back 2 Da Rootz, but because you are intreasted in straight up horror - you better start with the Monk and Melmoth the Wanderer.

Here is the rest of what I read (excluding Poe and Dracula, as you clearly already have that on your list):
Frankienstien
the Picture of Dorian Grey
the Vampyre* (espiecally read this one)
In the Glass Darkly*
Vathek
the Castle of Ortanto
the Turn of the Screw*
the Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Wuthering Heights
Jane Eyre
a Sicilian Romance
the Mysteries of Uldopho
Phantom of the Opera
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Most of them aren't scary, or have little to horror elements - but are excellent at bringing up the right tone and atmosphere all the same. They are great for seeing where the Horror genre came from.
>>
>ctrl+f ligotti
>0 results
>>
>>8999486
Thanks, I've never heard of Otsuichi before. The only Japanese weird horror/ fiction writer I've read before is Junji Ito. I really love his some of his stories and he's masterful with his page turns and art work.

>>9000873
I did see Danse Macabre before and I was tempted to buy it but I was apprehensive given King's reputation.

>>9001001
I'd be up for checking out Gothic fiction too, I've got into reading later than I should have and I'm trying to make up for lost time. Frankenstein was one I was looking at due to it being one of the horror classics. Thanks for the list, I'll copy them for when I've finished Poe and Dracula.

>>9001015
I've never heard of Ligotti before but I see he's inspired by Lovecraft and that's good enough for me to give him a chance.
>>
Kafka

Trust me
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.