[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have questions: When should I use the "S" in seem(s),

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (16KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
16KB, 470x313px
I have questions:
When should I use the "S" in seem(s), look(s), give(s) and so on…

Example:
"You look good today"
correct

"You looks good today."
wrong

I also have no idea when to use "does."

Guide me /lit/.
>>
Singular objects that aren't first or second person. He. She. It. This. That.

In interrogative sentences:
When does the wind blow?
Why does the wind blow?
Who does the wind blow?
For whom does the wind blow?
Where does the wind blow?
What does the wind blow?
How does the wind blow?
Does the wind blow?
>>
It's for third person singular...
he does, she seems, it looks, and so on
>>
>>8999023
Also nouns and proper nouns if that wasn't clear.
The sandwich looks tasty.
My mom hates me.
>>
>>8999023
>>8999026
Thank you so much guys.
>>
The "s" should be used when the subject is 3. person singular

You look good today - "You" is second person singular, therefore there should not be an "s" on the end of the verb.

She looks good today - "She" is third person singular, and therefore "s" should be used in the end of the verb.
>>
>>8999023
>>8999026
>>8999029
>>8999035
"Those books give me a ton of happiness"
Or "those books gives me a ton of happiness?"
>>
>>8999044
Those books give...

(Those books) is a 3rd person plural object.
>>
>>8999057
>3rd person
Yes, the "S" is used in third person or thing right? Like the anons in this thread said.
>>
Is this thread serious?
>>
>>8999130
I was wondering the same thing. I learned about present tense third person singular verbs ending in s in my first year of English, in second grade. This has as much to do with literature as learning to toddle about the crib has to do with climbing K2.
>>
I don't remember learning these rules (I just know them lol) and would feel retarded if asked to explain them to a non English speak. Am I actually retarded though?
>>
>>8999103
English has two tenses, present and past. Present tense verbs "agree" with the subject of the sentence. All that means is if the subject is singular AND 3rd person, the verb should have that -s on the end.

Note that some auxiliaries have this property too.
"He does not like pizza" vs "They do not like pizza"
if you make it a question, it's the same
"Does he like pizza?" vs "Do they like pizza?"

>>9000514
>Am I actually retarded though?
Definitely not. Most people have no idea about the way their native language actually works. Many people have the delusion that they understand, but they really don't.
>>
>>8999016
You add the inflection -s when the verb is in the third-person singular present indicative.
Irregular verbs also have this property- "is", "has".
This does not apply to the verbs "should", "could", "would", "may", "can", and "will", and perhaps to some others. This because this verbs are either inherently in the subjunctive, etymologically preterite, or... I actually don't know why we don't have "wills".
>>
>>9000568
Were do have "wills".
>He wills it so.
It's just when it's a modal verb where it doesn't get the s.
>>
>>9000667
Ja. I'm not sure why that is. By analogy? Is it technically subjunctive?
>>
>>8999130
>>8999155

Not everyone starts out with English as a first language.
>>
File: VerbTenses.jpg (135KB, 1019x647px) Image search: [Google]
VerbTenses.jpg
135KB, 1019x647px
>>9000556
>English has two tenses
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.