[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to start reading books by the Ruskies? I'm tossing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: ivan.jpg (170KB, 726x909px) Image search: [Google]
ivan.jpg
170KB, 726x909px
Where to start reading books by the Ruskies?
I'm tossing up between either Master and Margarita or Crime and Punishment.
>>
Start with Bayan Shiryanov.
>>
>>8999002
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5027034.Bayan_SHiryanov

You yanking my chain, friend?
>>
You could start with a smaller book like One day in the life of Ivan Denisovitch or A hero of our time.
>>
>>8998995
You don't
>>
Start with Notes

May as well skip the effort of reading and just go to church instead after that
>>
Start with Tolstoy's Confessions, then War and Peace, Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment, and finally to Master and Margarita and One Day, if you're feeling really ambitious the entire Gulag Archipelago.

You can also read the Idiot, Demons, Fathers and Sons as an added option and I highly recommend it.
>>
>>8999091
I agree with this fellow.

Also, you can't go wrong with a Tolstoy novella like the Cossacks or the Death of Ivan Illych, very accessible stuff
>>
>>8998995
The Overcoat.
>>
>>8999007
He's the best. There must be translations somewhere.
>>
>>8999091
Good advice. I am Russian. Imho Dostoevsky and Tolstoy too boring. Add to list.
Nikolai Gogol’s "The Nose" and "The Overcoat"
Good short life stories Chekhov wrote, you can start with not too short "Ward No. 6".
"How the Steel Was Tempered" Nikolai Ostrovsky
"Tale of a True Man" Boris Polevoy
Among contemporary writers good Pelevin with his "Hermit and Six-fingered" or "Yellow arrow"
>>
>>8998995
you start with Tolstoy
>>
>>8998995
The overcoat, by Gogol
>Short
>Tragicomic
>Gives you a true glance of russian writing
>>
>>8999125
Thanks mate, went with the Death of Ivan Illych
>>
File: fug.png (11KB, 211x246px) Image search: [Google]
fug.png
11KB, 211x246px
>>8999158
>ooh some actually good advice..
>Pelevin
kys
>>
The best is Turgenev's "Diary of a Hunter" (or whatever, there are different translations with different names)
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.