[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think it is still possible for fiction to shock the modern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2667.jpg (41KB, 366x361px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2667.jpg
41KB, 366x361px
Do you think it is still possible for fiction to shock the modern reader?

Note that I make a distinction between "shock" and "offend".
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 333x500px
>>
>>8997490
yeah, make it good lol (i hate YA and only women and PoCs are published and hence utter shit, so the white man could potentially write a novel so good by being aesthetically white that it would shock everyone because theyve been lulled into sleep by idiots and brainwashed liberals).
>>
>>8997490
only superficially and only if the book gets popular enough.

Nobody will really give a fuck unless he can use that as a way to show to others personal virtues or moral positions.
>>
>>8997490
The likes of Twilight and Harry Potter shock me to my very core.
>>
You can't really be shocked by anything if you read a wiki blurb on it before you decide if you want to engage with it or not.
>>
>>8997509
Give us a fucking break from your obsessions for a few days, you basket case.
>>
Certainly not anyone who's spent a day on 4chan, no.
>>
Lol it would be really quite easy, the modern reader is more and more sheltered from anything shocking
>>
>>8997490
Yes.

Its called realizing something.
>>
>>8998531
>falling for the falseflagger from reddit
Learn to identify his posting style and ignore him, he's so butthurt over /pol/ that he shitposts in every thread ironically pretending to be a redpiller
>>
>>8997490
No, but it doesn't matter. Shock art is the cheapest form of art and shock has no inherent aesthetic value.
>>
>>8997490
Of course it is. We have as many taboos now as we've ever had, they're just not centered around sex and religion.
>>
American Psycho has been a slog to get through.

I've read bad fanfics, last words from serial killers, I've seen more than the usual amount of blood and violence in media and the like.

American Psycho is the only book I've ever had to put down and leave for breaks because of what I'm reading.
In that sense, yes. I think it's very possible to shock a modern reader, if for no other reason than a modern reader may not know where to look.
>>
File: Wicket W Warrick.jpg (227KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
Wicket W Warrick.jpg
227KB, 1252x1252px
>>8997490
try to post fan fiction on /lit/ and see how it goes
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.