[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fellow authors: to what extent does your work write itself? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: artist.jpg (112KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
artist.jpg
112KB, 720x540px
Fellow authors: to what extent does your work write itself? How do you go about balancing authorial intent and cosmic influence?
>>
File: Dho_Na_Brain_Cylinder.jpg (462KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Dho_Na_Brain_Cylinder.jpg
462KB, 800x1000px
i once had the experience of my characters deciding to take a side-trip to a market, and it threatened to derail the entire narrative. i struggled, got them back on track, and later i discovered that the market trip was absolutely necessary and foreshadowed three important aspects of the story.

how can a person write when important aspects of it develop unconsciously? that'd be like starting to bake a cake without knowing how you were going to get it into the oven.

tl;dr, STUPID BRAIN, BE MORE CONSISTENT
>>
>>8997536
Kill yourself, tumblr faggess.
>>
>>8997544
don't feel too bad that the school newspaper wouldn't publish your poem. next time, don't use Hawkwind lyrics and pretend you wrote them, Andrew.
>>
I... I don't want to enjoy this nasty old typewriter... but my hands keep moving on their own
>>
>>8997209

>cosmic influence
Of all the memes, I like this one the least. If you don't know where the story is going, you don't have anything to say, and if you don't have anything to say, you shouldn't be writing yet.

I plot my stories from beginning to end, then write a treatment, do a few outlines, break the flow of the best outline into chapters, then do character development, scene-setting & purple prose at the very end. This ensures cohesion and makes editing much faster, as well as making symbolism easy to pepper in as needed.

>inb4 naturalistic fallacy
>>
File: sleepy thom.jpg (22KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
sleepy thom.jpg
22KB, 600x338px
>>8998120
Gunna utilize a story I'm trying to develop this way, thanks for advice Anon
>>
>>8998135

Good luck fampai

Just remember that it'll seem like much drier work for the bulk of it, and only the last few edits will be aesthetically pleasing. You're sacrificing spontaneity and fun for speed.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.