[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what should I read before Das Kapital to be properly prepared?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 69km1.jpg (46KB, 345x504px) Image search: [Google]
69km1.jpg
46KB, 345x504px
So what should I read before Das Kapital to be properly prepared? I have a cheap door-stopper edition but it's not something I can jump into. I was told reading Smith and Ricardo would be easier, though, so can one read Wealth of Nations with little economic background?
>>
>>8995283
http://oxfordbibliographiesonline.com/view/document/obo-9780199756223/obo-9780199756223-0171.xml?rskey=7Ro917&result=2&q=karl+marx#firstMatch

What is it with /lit/fags who think they can get anything out of these massive tomes without accompanying peer reviewed monographs?
>>
>>8995293
http://oxfordbibliographiesonline.com/view/document/obo-9780199743292/obo-9780199743292-0041.xml?rskey=7Ro917&result=5&q=karl+marx#firstMatch

Those were journals, here are individual publications.

spoiler: marx is a fraud
>>
>>8995283
https://www.amazon.com/Big-Con-Story-Confidence-Man-ebook/dp/B004774D1E/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1484841799&sr=1-1&keywords=con+men
>>
>>8995283

your best bet, if you want to dive straight in, is to follow along the harvey lectures.

if you're really interested in commodities, value, and the rest, meghnand desai's book Marxian Economics is a very concise introduction to the whole theory, as well as explaining some (again, purely economic) debates from the 20th century.

if you're more interested in culture and history, and if you can, pick up the Grundrisse, the one penguin publishes, and read the introduction to that. the translator there lays out in perfectly lucid terms the relation between marxian and hegelian dialectic, something which many people are still in the dark about.

capital is a fun fucking book, once you get used to marx's rhythm, and especially if you've worked menially for any significant portion of your life.
>>
>>8995283
The German Ideology
Heinrich's intro
Althusser, "Reading Capital"
>>
>>8995283

There is no reason not to read the Manifesto beforehand, if you haven't. If you read it once some time ago, read it again. It is short, quick, fairly easy, and gives you an idea of the prose to expect (inflected by Engels, of course), with nineteenth-century metaphors employed regularly. Further, it was written well before Capital, so the chronology is right.
>>
>>8995750

actually, there are a lot of reasons not to read the manifesto first, namely the fact that it will give you a completely distorted and stupidly stereotypical idea of how marx understands history. class struggle, yes. but the teleological argument of the manifesto—the time is nigh, we only have our chains to lose, etc—is marred with the bad kind of hegelianism and has demonstrably lead to limp-wristed left praxis in the west for past 100 years following the russian revolution.
>>
>>8995283
Animal farm
>>
>>8995283
On the Jewish Question
The Communist Manifest pt. I
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.