[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Master and Margarita AKA How I learned to stop worrying and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 9987e1eba3746fbdc76c2d7ab2bb01f8.jpg (308KB, 763x1159px) Image search: [Google]
9987e1eba3746fbdc76c2d7ab2bb01f8.jpg
308KB, 763x1159px
Anyone ever read this book? If so, what did you think?

For me one of my top 5 reads so far in my life.
>>
>>8990667
For a highschool class.
I don't get it. It was alright, but I don't see why it's so universally beloved.
My (admittedly atheistic) traditionalism may have soured me to the premise and to the treatment of Jesus. Was the point of those chapters to invert and show a non-miraculous Jerusalem where miracles would be invented and a miraculous present where miracles would be ignored- suggesting... something?
Still, it was the only decent book from the Soviet semester. Fucking Reds.
>>
Nah, I've spent a couple years trying to decide which translation to read.

>>8990702
You don't get it because you read a bad translation, which is why I'm at a standstill right now.
>>
>>8990793
jeez louise, you could've learned russian by now
>>
it was pretty good, I wasn't familiar with Faust or deeply familiar with the Bible, so I felt left out... my copy has like 40 pages at the back dedicated to explaining the harder references, I really liked the Pilate chapters and the ending. Still, I'm a pleb.
>>
>>8990667
I watched this, does that count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t6W9hkXV6g
>>
>>8990702
Set in Moscow under Stalin and in Jerusalem under Pilate, it has several story-lines where history, religion and politics are intertwined. The sacrifices of Master (Galibin), a talented author of a manuscript about the biblical Pontius Pilate, and Master's muse - Margarita (Kovalchuk), are paralleled by the biblical story of Ieshua in Ierushalaim, and the deceit of the cowardly ambiguous Pilate (Lavrov), whose character alludes to a Soviet leader. The reality is distorted by Satan Woland (Basilashvili), and his lieutenants, who are manipulating public events and people's lives by pushing the buttons of human weaknesses and sins. Margarita taps into Woland's power, trying to save Master. The character of Master is autobiographical, burning of his manuscript alludes to what Bulgakov himself did under threats from the Soviet authorities.
>>
Its great, I read everything else he wrote after this and if has its moments but is nothing compared to MM. Everything is just good clean fun and hijinks with the devil and his good friends.
>>
File: 1441017291745.png (38KB, 275x414px) Image search: [Google]
1441017291745.png
38KB, 275x414px
I'm reading the Richard Pevear, Larissa Volokhonsky translation. Is this a good version?
>>
>>8992543
I've read one by Michael Glenny and a few excerpts of P&V, but I prefer Glenny
>>
>>8992543
P&V is good for your layman but pseuds generally dislike them.
>>
>>8992557
>>8992809
Where to find Glenny version?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.