[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did poetry evolve from every language, or was there one language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 18353_b_5150.jpg (13KB, 140x200px) Image search: [Google]
18353_b_5150.jpg
13KB, 140x200px
Did poetry evolve from every language, or was there one language specifically which it came out of, and other cultures began producing poetry as well?
>>
Poetry is as natural an expression of pure human thought one can find outside of the works of Joyce. To an extent, it might even be thought of as partly prelinguistic.
>>
Kind of related: Epic Greek was created as a poetic language.
>>
A poet I'm not very fond of said that poetry is what is lost in translation. I agree with this for the same reason I disagree with the people who say that we think in language. Poetry is what is lost in translation as it's generally what can't be said. Another anon said prelingusitic, just from experience, I agree.
>>
The best theory of poetry I've seen has depicted it as a natural outgrowth of language's ability to extend meanings through allegory and metaphor and stuff. Bachelard has some good stuff on this, somewhere, something about whole sentences or otherwise complex phrases being irreducible to "logical" or "plain." The metaphor itself carries distinct information, it IS distinct information. There is no such thing as "plain language." Ricoeur too. I think there's a good book called something like "On Metaphor," with essays by Max Black and others in it. Also Frege on sense and reference, which is a whole ambiguous thing.

There's a good passage somewhere in Wittgenstein or maybe Peter Winch talking about Wittgenstein, where he says that language naturally extends its meaning without having to "plan it out." So, say you're a human, in the early days of some language, and you have the word (say) "crisp," as in something fresh, zesty, springy and full of life, etc. And it suddenly strikes you that a speech a friend gave at a recent event was "crisp." You don't plan this out - your mind extends the concept naturally, there is something distinctly crisp about the speech. Since this is speech, i.e., it's mediated between human beings, if you say "damn, that speech was crisp" to another friend, he might say "nigga how the fuck can a speech be crisp?" but more likely he will immediately get what you mean, and then the language has been changed.

Poetic language probably functions in much the same ways. You're not just finding obtuse allegorical ways to describe "what is really happening." You are in some way capturing the real essence of what's happening, in a way that is immediately intelligible to the listener. For example
>The plane SHOT across the sky
is immediately intelligible even if you've never heard the verb "shoot" used of a plane before.

Concatenate and layer this enough and you'd probably get something like poetry in any culture. Or maybe some cultures don't have distinct "poetry," but they're still using this mechanism, maybe in ways that are much less sectioned-off into a specifically poetic practice or profession than how we do it.
>>
>>8988959
Thank you anon. I'll definitely check these essays out.
>>
>>8988959
Good post.
>>
Academia will tell you it all came out of africa
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.