[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were the sophists and why did Plato and Socrates hated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
What were the sophists and why did Plato and Socrates hated them so much?
>>
>>8988446
They charged money for education rather than subsisting from voluntary donations.

Ie they were acting in their own interest over the interest of truth.
>>
>>8988446
The sophists were expensive college education

Plato and Socrates were 4chan shitposters
>>
The sophists were great
Literally great
Socrates and Plato were just buttmad
Protagoras said nothing wrong
>>
>>8988476

History repeats itself.
>>
>>8988446
The sophists weren't spooked by platonic memes and this infuriated poor plato.
>>
>>8988476
this is actually kinda true

sophists were fags who charged money to teach others how to be convincing orators

socrates was a non-malicious irl shitposter who goaded people for fun but also to lead them towards the truth.
>>
Who was Diogenes and why did he think Plato and Aristotle were fags?
>>
>>8988482
Protagoras was very convincing, a real testament of the Sophists.

One of very few who had more to say than, "Yes, I agree, Socrates."
>>
>>8988542
A historian. He was the first greek to discover straw
>>
>>8988446
When a group of people find a way to make some money and live their lives successfully, there'll be some poor fucks who'll detest them and call them evil. In this case, those poor fucks were Socrates and Plato.

While Socrates was walking the streets with no sandles and with clothes that he's been wearing for the entire year, the Sophists were making money in order to live a good life with their families. Socrates was such an ugly and miserable cunt. He always acted as if he's holier than thou. Deserved his death.

Plato. I don't take him seriously, so I don't need to discuss him. But he's a miserable cunt too like his master. You just have to laugh at his intellect when he said man was a featherless biped only to have Diogenes blow the fuck out of him.
>>
File: 1451890088035.png (498KB, 1741x699px) Image search: [Google]
1451890088035.png
498KB, 1741x699px
>>8988446
Childhood is idolising Socrates, Adulthood is realising he got what was coming to him
>>
>>8988645
terrible post
canadian by any chance?
>>
>>8988645
No, although I do have relatives who emigrated to there so there is clearly some genetic basis for my post quality
>>
If you're really asking, it's because they were relegating philosophy to the realm of the useful, thus making it not philosophical. Protagoras is about this.

If you're meme asking it's because Socrates had blue balls from turning down Alcibiades and Protagoras was lookin thicc and needed to be dominated mentally b4 he could be entered.
>>
>>8988997

t. asian living in vancouver
>>
>>8988645
that was not worth screencapping
>>
>>8989164

I was really asking. What do you mean by 'the realm of the useful'
>>
File: lol.png (160KB, 305x391px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
160KB, 305x391px
>>8988539

>socrates was a non-malicious irl shitposter

Er, I wouldn't call "corrupting the youth" non-malicious.
>>
>>8988446
They would teach you how you can convince other people that your points are correct, rather than how to actually make points that ARE correct.
>>
>>8989687
The workaday world that consumes most of our lives, including the social mechanism. Meeting our needs so that we can go on surviving.

Philosophy is the act of transcending that 'common need' world, and thinking of something that has a place in the whole of reality, not just answering the question of 'what purpose' does it serve.

If you're going to build a society you need architects in order for the buildings to stand aright, scientists in order to research medicine, etc. You don't have philosophers 'in order to' do anything. That is the point: philosophy is not a part of the workaday world.

Protagoras is trying to teach a useful philosophy that answers the 'in order to' question. The problem is that when people study this sort of pseudo philosophy they never actually transcend the workaday world. They're still thinking of meeting their needs.

This is Socrates' problem with the sophists; they're basically tricking the would be philosophers into practicing a pseudo philosophy that prevents them from ever discovering real philosophical wonder.
>>
File: 1483457796273.jpg (66KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1483457796273.jpg
66KB, 640x640px
>>8988476
Sophists
>Expensive
>Teach you how to be full of shit
>"Upper class"
>Social Status

Socratics
>Shitposting
>Trolling
>Normies hate them
>For the most part are always right
>>
>>8989694
"Corrupting the youth" into questioning their environment, values and social structures?
Yes, I can see how the state would find that unforgivable.

After all, their control is predicated upon not being questioned.
>>
>>8988464

If you're good at something, never do it for free. Rephrased, only the fool does for free that for which he can get paid.

So this very first reply immediately tells me that the sophists were, being wiser, better.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.