[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>age >location >current book you're reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 266
Thread images: 32

File: 1484362668001.png (256KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1484362668001.png
256KB, 512x512px
>age
>location
>current book you're reading and how do you like it
>>
>>8987903
20s
murka
melancholy of resistance

it fucking sucks. it's like a bernhard but with nothing good. i'm gonna read simplicissimus instead i guess.
>>
Wales
Decline of the West

I'm loving it tbqh, really gets the noggin joggin'
>>
USA
On The Edge

I was skeptical of the translation at first but I'm really enjoying the seamless flow of the narrator's toxic ranting
>>
United States
The Brothers Karamazov

Dmitri is one crazy motherfucker.
>>
>>8987944
Same
>>
Germany
Crime and punishment

I Love Dostoyevsky. Book Started slow and rather tedious but I think i get why now that the Story picked up a bit
>>
>>8987903
Brazil
Infinite Jest
Not liking it very much, too much verbosity
>>
Florida, US
The death of Ivan Illych?

I just finished reading A Tale of Two Cities, finally, and am now awaiting for my sister to bring me some books I asked her to check out from her university's library.
>>
File: ginthumpsup.jpg (67KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
ginthumpsup.jpg
67KB, 540x405px
>>8987903
germany
just finished 'sir apropos of nothing'
5/6 good stuff. will get book 2.
>>
>>8987937
Where in Wales you from?
>>
>>8987903
Old.
Kansas, America.
"Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa.

I'm only 100 pages in but so far it's great.
>>
>>8988013
>"Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa.
hey i'm reading that too
>>
>>8987976

Rhyl, but don't worry I've come to terms with it
>>
>>8988022
n-no?
>>
>>8988024
Could be worse... Could be from the Rhondda. Someone kill me.
>>
>>8987959
Why don't you check them out yourself sempai?
>>
>>8988050

It's not your fault.
>>
Age 26
Location Canada
Book The Golden Spruce (2nd read since this fall, not sure if want epilogue, but 3rd read likely)
>>
>>8987903
Australia
Persian Book of Kings

It's no Journey to the West, it's still magical though, turks are literal cockroaches on the side of the devil.

>tfw more taste than anyone in this thread
Shit cunts, the lot of ya.
>>
>>8987937
Are you reading in German? I ordered this recently and it should be coming in soon.
>>
Texas USA
Canterbury tales. Started for wife of Bath's tale. Kept going for fart jokes ;)
>>
>>8988076

No but I'm planning to learn so I can do so, along with the other German lads
>>
Straya
Blood Meridian

>Glanton spat
>>
London
Nazi Literature in the Americas
Nice and easy break before my Beckett arrives tomorrow
>>
>>8987903
Pittsburgh
The Sickness Unto Death
Really just trying to get through it so I can read my book on the Presocratics or maybe the Illiad instead. All the meme guides say to start with Greek mythology, but I really want to get to the philosophy.

Anyway, TSUD is a little too religious for me, but Kierkegaard was undoubtedly a smart guy.
>>
>make posts about yourself that no-one will respond to
>>
Chile
The Magic Mountain, is great, usually I dislike books about rich people
>>
>>8988124
False.
>>
>>8988129
Checkmate : - )
>>
>18
>USA,Rhode Island
>HP Lovecraft Collection
Not bad, I'm in walking distance of most of the locations which adds to it.
>>
"18"
USA
I am the Messenger
Read it for the 2nd time and enjoyed it even more than the first
>>
>>8988136
Get someone of age to buy you some of the Narraganset HP Lovecraft beers. They're all pretty good.
>>
>18
>Los Angeles
>Steppenwolf

just started, on page 20, seems cool so far
>>
Australia
Don Quixote

Super comfy and easy to read, I need to pick up something short to read alongside it though.
>>
Northern New England
Acid Dreams: The CIA, LSD, and the Sixties Rebellion

Book got me fucking spooked about the CIA desu
>>
>>8988149
>I need to pick up something short to read alongside it though.
There are some short stories inside of that book so dont worry
>>
>>8988149
How far in are you and how long did it take
>>
>>8987903
>25
>NY
>Ulysses, loved Portrait and Dubliners, and I loved Hamlet and Odyssey which were recommended as prerequisites. So far I love Ulysses, I love Joyce
>>
>>8987903
Ontario, Canada
Odyssey, Gogol short stories.

Gogol's short stories (especially The Overcoat, The Nose, and Old-world Landowners) are masterpieces of the form.

The Odyssey translation I'm reading is an old prose version by T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia.) Not the best, but it was lying around so I figured why not.
>>
>>8988084
>Canterbury tales. Started for wife of Bath's tale. Kept going for fart jokes ;)
There's hope for humanity!
>>
>>8987903
CA
Origin of Satan

Meh.
>>
>>8987903
California
The History of the Peloponnesian War

If "The Prince" were a novel. Pericles' funeral oration was underwhelming though
>>
>22
>Canada
>The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus.

I'm really enjoying it. It's not quite as good as anything I'm the main sword of Truth series, but Goodkind is always entertaining to read.
>>
Alabama
The blood meridian
Very enjoyable, love it so far
>>
>>8988073
>"look how cool I am!"
Immediately 10 points less cool
>>
>21
>England
>Two Girls Fat And Thin
>It's a change from Under the Volcano I'll tell you that. Anna Granite is clearly a Rand expy. It's pretty good otherwise, at describing places I'd hate to live in and nasty people. So: typical Gaitskill.
>>
>>8988155
That's true, I just like to have a few things going on at a time.

>>8988160
about 200 pages and a week and a half or so
>>
>19
>pennsylvania
>letters to milena

i love it. i'm a sucker for the whole doomed romance thing
>>
>>8988013
>Kansas
Lawrencefag get out REEEEEE
>>
>>8988124
>please give me attention
>>
>>8988124
Sometimes it's fun to see what other people are reading, you don't need to autistically reply to every post you see
>>
>24
>Washington State (Tacoma)
>Plutarch : The Lives of the Noble Grecians and Romans

Its pretty good and I'm learning a lot about greek and roman history as well as about how the greeks and romans viewed history and their own society, laws, traditions etc.
>>
>>8987937
Make sure you read the sequal Death of the West
>>
>>8988165
London (UK)
Dubliners

Didn't know what to expect going in, realised it's a short story collection rather than a novel, and 2 in and it's already fucked me up. It's good, I like it, but there's something very bleak and grim about it.
>>
File: 1472620969601.jpg (170KB, 1024x773px) Image search: [Google]
1472620969601.jpg
170KB, 1024x773px
Bongland
Spud - Learning to Fly (teenshit that I read about 10 years ago but completely forgot about and read again over the last week)
Best ending of the series imo - also helped by the fact that I played Nightswimming when it came up, and through perfect cosmic alignment I finished the book as the song ended. Feeling some serious nostalgia right now.
As someone who went to boarding school around the same time the book's set, I could relate to most of it.
Great casual read, I'd say almost essential for a South African.
>>
>>8988231
Speaking of doomed romance, does anyone recall the name of a book about a former soldier who lives in the woods (somewhere in Scandinavia, I think) who falls in love with a city girl? IIRC it's a very short, one word title.
>>
Northern Canada
Dubliners
I like some stories better than others. Overall I'm enjoying it, but I would prefer the short stories if there was a bit more conflict.
>>
>20
>London
>Seven Pillars of Wisdom
What a fucking chore. I want to be interested but Lawrence just spits out names and locations one after the other, and it doesn't help they're either Arabian like "Mohammad al Shubbad al Hameem, chieftain of the Daharali" or generic Brit names like "Smith" and "Baker" that just fade into obscurity by the end of the line, then pop up 100 pages later.
It's cool hearing about his camel journeys across the desert, and tactics against the Turks, and all that shit, but the politics obviously play a huge part in everything and that's what kills it for me.
Doesn't help that Lawrence's publisher notes are included in the introduction where he's just a smart arse ponce.
>"You've spelt this town three different ways."
>"So I have :)"
>>
>>8988368
>Lawrence just spits out names and locations one after the other, and it doesn't help they're either Arabian like "Mohammad al Shubbad al Hameem, chieftain of the Daharali" or generic Brit names like "Smith" and "Baker" that just fade into obscurity by the end of the line, then pop up 100 pages later.
Thats how I feel reading many Russian novels.
>>
>>8987903

Spain
Bibliotheca of Pseudo-Apollodorus
>>
File: TRAITORDETECTED.jpg (41KB, 680x784px) Image search: [Google]
TRAITORDETECTED.jpg
41KB, 680x784px
>>8988368
>that last greentext
Holy SHIT I'm glad that I'm not the only one annoyed by him

>"Is it Dakhar or Dakkar? You've even used Dhakka at one point"
>i dont know you tell me <:-)

I'd fucking kick his faggot ass out my god damn door if he pulled that shit with me
>>
>>8988342
"Pan" by Knut Hamsun.
>>
Pacific usa B)
Wizard of Earthsea! I didnt even know there was a epic fantasy before tolkien!
>>
Canada
Kafka - The Trial
>>
Massachusetts
Mason & Dixon

Less than 100 pages in. I like it so far, but the old fashioned is getting a little old, and the best parts feel like a watered down GR.
>>
Argentina
To The Lighthouse

Just finished it. It had it's moments, but it got overbearing after like, the half way point (more or less like talking to my mother).
>>
portland
norwegain wood Haruki Murakami
>>
>>8988027
Get after it, Anon. http://jockopodcast2.com/
>>
>>8987903
Pennsylvania
City of God

its the end game of antiquity. ive read excerpts but im finally going for a full read-thru

someone needs to publish a modernized version that attacks atheism rather than paganism. maybe ill do it.
>>
>>8987903
>19
>Michigan
>oblivion, short story collection by David Foster Wallace
The third book I've read by him. It's pretty good, but I think I prefer his nonfiction more.
>>
Russia
Jane Eyre
It's emotional a bit...
>>
File: IMG_1815.jpg (238KB, 668x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1815.jpg
238KB, 668x800px
>22
>VA
>Suttree

Comfy AF.
>>
>>8987903
Brazil
I'm reading the Art of Writing (A arte de escrever, in portuguese. Not sure if there's that book in english). It's a collection of essays from Schopenhauer about writing, readers, writers and philosophy. It's comfy as fuck. I'm enjoying it.
>>
California
Into the Darkness

Really good so far
>>
File: 1468096537140.png (133KB, 250x309px) Image search: [Google]
1468096537140.png
133KB, 250x309px
>>8987903
>24
>Canada
>The Brothers Karamazov

Very good, the characters are interesting and the prose is satisfyingly complex which i appreciate. One sentence had 12 commas and a semi-colon while still being easy to read. I feel like there's a lot I'm missing and I may need to go back through a second time.

My only real problem is like mentioned above in posts by other anons. Characters have like 3 different names and they're all 15 syllables long. It's difficult to keep track of who is who. There are also so many characters, some that are immediately discarded and others that are important, and it's difficult to know if I should keep characters in mind for later or not.
>>
File: 1484189020472.jpg (2MB, 1712x1712px) Image search: [Google]
1484189020472.jpg
2MB, 1712x1712px
Canada
Cosmic Trigger

I like batshit conspiracies but this shit is off the god damn wall.
>>
San Antonio
Naked Lunch
It's both the funniest and nastiest book I've read.
>>
>>8988996
"The way of shadows"* I use Google Translator... My bad
>>
File: Big Brother.jpg (139KB, 1254x1839px) Image search: [Google]
Big Brother.jpg
139KB, 1254x1839px
San Diego, CA
Really digging it, so far. Seeing some parallels with the real world, so I'm shitting my pants.
>>
USA
Through The Maelstrom

One of the more in-depth Soviet Memoirs of the Great Patriotic War I've ever read. Someday, I'll pick up an overview of the Battles of Rzhev, as this memoir makes it the second one I've read over that battle.
>>
>>8989031
I also live in a whale's vagina.
>25
>SD
>Paris Peasant, it's alright.
>
>>
File: il_570xN.795911481_ti4v.jpg (101KB, 570x760px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.795911481_ti4v.jpg
101KB, 570x760px
Italy.
"Freud's Own Cookbook "
My brother gifted me this , is quite the fun read, it has many tidbits of Freud life being reconnected to food, all while giving out actual recipes, it makes me curious to know how would it be seen by someone who has studied the man unlike me.
>>8989031
Once you are done, I recommend reading "Brave new world", which is rather parallel to that in the sense that instead of being suppressed by violence and fear, we are controlled by what we love.
I did not find as concise and clear as 1984, the world building seems nebulous in comparison and the author seems to get to the point with a sort of monologue at the end, whose points I believe should have been exposed more thoroughly in the book, still, I found it a worth read.
>>
>>8987903
Zurich
Teatro Grottesco (Thomas Ligotti), it's good. I definitely will add Ligotti to my top 5 writers list.
>>
>>8988058
Going to community college, and the library does not have tolstoy or otero silva.
>>
>>8987903
Perú
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me

Ive finished only the first part, I like the style as a different thing. Was reccommended to me at this board.
>>
>25
>Richmond, VA
>Galveston by Guy Who Wrote True Detective

I was curious if modern detective/noir-ish fiction was any good and his was the only one I had heard of recently. It is boring and very obviously a first novel because I can feel him trying.

I can't wait to go back to Mary Renault and Philip K Dick.
>>
>>8989100
Ask the desk about inter-library-loan. Or check their website, you can probably arrange it all without speaking to a human person.
>>
>>8987903
>21
>murrica'
>antifragile by nassim taleb
It's good actually, thought provoking and provides interesting tidbits of advice here and there.

>inb4 not literature on a lit board.
>>
>>8988128
Did you like Coronación?
>>
>>8989109
I only gonto community once a week, and my sister goes to her uni every day. It be easier this way, mane.
>>
>22
>Mexico City
>The Savage Detectives

Just finished it, in Spanish obviously. It was an amazing read, far better than I imagined. I think Bolaño will be remembered as one of the best writers of his generation, even one of the best Latin-American writers of the second half of the last century.

Right now I started reading the introduction to the Oxford edition of King Lear.
>>
File: depression.jpg (17KB, 195x276px) Image search: [Google]
depression.jpg
17KB, 195x276px
>everyone's so young
>>
>18
>midwest USA
>The Corrections
It's really funny. 300p in
>>
File: At_the_Mountains_of_Madness.jpg (24KB, 200x345px) Image search: [Google]
At_the_Mountains_of_Madness.jpg
24KB, 200x345px
>>8987903
Bulgaria
pic relate
just 32 page will see
>>
>20
>Ausfailia
>Borges collected fictions.
I am pretty much finished. Its too hot to read more than 2 stories a day. Borges is cool but really hard to read in large doses because of the amount he reuses his ideas. Ficciones is best.
>>
>>8989162
>tfw you didn't get into reading until your mid-20s.

Anyway

>27
>Philadelphia
>Infinite Jest

450 pages in, so about halfway done. It ebbs and flows. Some chapters I breeze through and others can be a chore, but that's about what I expected.

Favorite chapter so far is the Eschaton game. Loved the bit describing John Gentle's presidency as depicted by Mario. Any chapter where Hal to Orin is a pleasure too. I'm starting to like the AA storyline (if that's the right word) as well

Marathe and Steeply chapters are starting to drag though.
>>
>>8989206
*where Hal talks to Orin
>>
File: 1484673288102.jpg (18KB, 347x280px) Image search: [Google]
1484673288102.jpg
18KB, 347x280px
>>8989108
>Richmond, VA
>>
VA
Complete Works of Plato

Just finished the trial of Socrates (Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo) and am most of the way through Cratylus. Liking it so far. I knew a fair amount of philosophy going in but I decided to stop being a pseud who doesn't read actual works, so here I am. Apology and Phaedo were just alright in my opinion. I can see how influential they are, and thought they were interesting, but the ideas in them didn't do much for me personally. Euthyphro and Crito were more interesting IMO and provoked more thought. Almost done with Cratylus and I don't like it much; I don't need Socrates to give me Greek etymology lessons for a weak theory anyway. Plan on reading pretty much all of the other major writings and I'm looking forward to it
>>
>>8988120
if you're referring to the OWC presocratics book, I read it a few months ago and you don't need to have read homer to read it. that said, you should read homer nonetheless because homer is great and there's countless references to him in all of western lit
>>
>>8989250

Where in VA? :3
>>
>21
>Texas
>The Count of Monte Cristo

I love it
>>
>>8987903
>20
>straya
>The Plague

Its bretty good, I think I finally understand what absurdism actually is. Coincidentally its fucking hot here in Australia these days
>>
Eastern Canada
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

Alright for a leisure read, although a few things feel contrived.

>>8989162
it scares me that most people here don't have memories of 9/11
>>
>>8989399
I was 7 at the time yet I remember it quite vividly, and I'm not even American. Why underestimate the memory of "young" people?
>>
Russia
A&B Strugatsky, The Doomed City
The best social sci-fi I've encountered.
>>
>>8989399
>although a few things feel contrived.

Disgrace to canada
>>
>>8989421
pathetic.
>>
NYC
Catch 22

Not enjoying it, will probably drop
>>
>>8989399
>The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

that's a good one
>>
>>8989430
Fucking stupid. Absolutely moronic post.
>>
Spain
Grendel

Far more deep than I expected. Its making me feel constantly. Alack.
>>
>>8987903
Romania
The Name of the Wind

I like Kvote
>>
>21
>SD, USA
> Tempest-Tost by Robertson Davies

Davies is underrated (I think probably because he's Canadian and thus misses the important canon markers of American or European but not by enough to make him interesting for being specifically excluded) but this book's extremely funny and filled with delightful characters and situations. Am excited to pick up Fifth Business next. Also currently reading several plays but they're usually finished in a day or two so I barely count them as currently reading. Some recent ones include:

>The Idiots Karamazov by Christopher Durang and Albert Innaurato
>As Bees in Honey Drown by Douglas Carter Beane
>scab by Sheila Callaghan
>Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams
>>
>>8989424
Go read your government issued bilingual copy of "The Bear."
>>
>>8989454
Fucking incredible fail. Stupid books and person.
>>8989449
nice
>>
File: irish kern.png (869KB, 633x834px) Image search: [Google]
irish kern.png
869KB, 633x834px
Ireland
Moby Dick + A Guide to Early Irish Law
1)
/comfy/, and I'm learning about Whales and Whaling as well which is nice

2)
illuminating, really tells you a lot about the people during a time of comparative surrounding 'darkness' regarding other peoples
>>
>>8987903
Israel
Solaris

Very good, I have about twenty pages left to finish it and then I'll watch Tarkovsky's film.
>>
Manchester, UK
Nausea by Jean Paul Sartre
>>
Guam
Pride and Prejudice
I'm about 50 pages in and Jane Austen has definitely become a favorite of mine.
>>
Germany
Not sure if i should read war and peace now or take a break and continue with some good old fashioned fantasy books. Last book was anna karenina and i greatly enjoyed it but i'm not sure if another one like this might not be too much.
>>
Slovenia
Nejc Zaplotnik, The Path.
It's pretty good for a climber. You can feel the guy read a lot. Motivating.
>>
>>8987903
Britainistan
The liberal delusion

It's pretty meh ok arguments not massive inconsistencies yet. I alternate fiction and non fiction so can't wait to get over this then start somthing better maybe fight club
>>
>>8987903
>34
>NH
>The Master of Hestviken by Sigrid Undset
>Its fuckin great
>>
>>8989455
"oh bear...."
>>
Atlanta
Don Quixote

I like it a lot, has hilarious parts and tragic parts. I was expecting the humor to be very dated but surprisingly it really isn't. Even Shakespeare written at about the same time typically elicits almost nothing from me, most of the humor there is just a footnote saying "This is an archaic allusion to penises and is funny"
>>
Kentucky
Neuromancer
>>
>>8987903
Australia
Confessions by St Augustine

Decent so far. Sometimes the translation is difficult. A lot of it is just "God, you're so great" type filler.
>>
>>8988480
In classic Pynchon fashion, M&D picks up after ~150 pages and becomes fun, there's a talking dog, tons of fun historical cameos, it's great
>>
Finland
Japanese Philosophy: A Sourcebook
>>
>24
>Egypt
>Bukowski's Hot Water Music audiobook since I hardly have the time to sit and read when I'm on duty
>>
Finland
Religion and Nothingness
>>
>>8988337
>essential for a South African.
What are some other SA reads?
>>
>>8989067
And I.
Will be downtown today at a tequila tasting in Little Italy... Kettner...
See if you can spot the /lit. I'm nice, so say hi.
I also know karate... so like, don't turn 4chan on me. "Hi" is enough.
>>
File: image1 (6).jpg (1MB, 3780x1713px) Image search: [Google]
image1 (6).jpg
1MB, 3780x1713px
> 20
> Western Australia
> The Winter Of Our Discontent

Only one chapter in but loving it so far
>>
M
UK

Hamilton's Mythology. Really interesting so far and not a slog in the slightest. Looking forward to working through the remaining stories this week before moving on to The Iliad.
>>
>>8987903
>>8987959
Florida, my man.

>26
>USA (TPA)
>The farthest shore

good, but not as good as the first Earthsea. Just finished Mans Search for Meaning as well
>>
File: 78024.jpg (65KB, 301x475px) Image search: [Google]
78024.jpg
65KB, 301x475px
>20
>Finland
Very comfy, I like it.
>>
>>8990480
Great book. Bullfinch is another good one, but much more sloggy.
>>
>>8990499
Thanks for the rec, will check it out.
>>
Canada
The Gulag Archipelago

A tough read based on the sheer size of it but it actually flows pretty well for a book with such volume and the scope of the material it covers. Really enjoying it though honestly in a depressing sort of way. Humanity is truly disgusting.

I already had tremendous disdain for leftists and commies but after I finish this I don't think my soul will ever recover.
>>
>18
>Belgium
>A confederacy of dunces

Really enjoying it, it's quite funny at times
>>
>>8987948
This, just 20.
>>
HAHAHAH "20's"
>>
Rome
One Dimensional Man
wtf i hate consumerism now
>>
>>8991041
Don't worry goy senpai, I'm going to gas myself soon
>>
Massachusetts
Mason & Dixon

Pretty damn comfy desu. It's like my fifth or sixth Pynchon, and I'm just along for the ride this read through.

>>8988480
Hey wanna hang out
>>
Edinburgh
Leviathan

>CRAWLING IN MY SKIN
>>
File: 1484725969722.png (497KB, 515x422px) Image search: [Google]
1484725969722.png
497KB, 515x422px
>>8991101
>I'm going to gas myself soon
>>
>>8991152
Do /pol/yps not see Orthodox Jews as allies against Israel? Or are they just fucking idiots who actually think Jewry - apparently inferior - control the world?
>>
File: 1484381504032.png (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1484381504032.png
77KB, 500x500px
>>8991250
>>
>>8990126
>>8989455
Jesus
Fucking
Christ
>>
>>8992317
Look how far we've come.
lol
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 753x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 753x640px
>20
>Indianapolis
>hamiltons mythology

If you go to IUPUI and took out both the Oxford Ancient Greece and Hamiltons Mythology, RETURN THEM! I know you're starting with the Greeks chart, they are the same exact books and you took them out on the same day according to the due date.
>>
norcal
welcome to nightvale
sokay, not sure where its going and I'm 6 chapters in
>>
Alberta, Canada
The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt

It's good.
>>
>>8989104
jajajaja
concha tu madre
smash es mi pastor
arriba peru

how is life in peru, friend?
>>
American Psycho
60% through and I really like it. Super funny.
>>
>>8988073
Only a true aussie would call someone a shit cunt. Where do you hail from?
>>
>25
>nyc
>gone girl by gillian flynn - really like it - read sharp objects by her as well
>>
>24
>Mexico City
>Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction

One of my Salinger favorites, rereading it with my boyfriend.
>>
Milwaukee
>the Satanic Verses
Really liked it at first but it's now growing tiresome
>>
>>8992918
It drags like that until the end.
>>
>>8992938
Ugh, no. Jahilia was cool
>>
France
L'Image-Temps + The Changing Light at Sandover
>>
>>8989154
Currently reading El gaucho insufrible, very nice work.
>>
>>8989162

>38
>Mexico
>The New York Trilogy

Love the cadence of the book.
>>
Detroit
American Pastoral

Roth is super comfy. Don't know why he isn't discussed here more.
>>
Minnesota
Lucifer's Banker

If you like whistleblowers and tax evasion check it out. The dude tells you about some pretty crazy stuff that's hard to believe but actually fucking happened.
>Fuck Swedish banking.
>Fuck the US government for this one.
>>
Texas
Moby Dick

bretty gud so far. I'm not very far in yet though, can't wait for all that dank whale biology.
>>
>19
>Paris
>Notes from the underground
>I wanna fucking kms now
>>
U.S.
The Death of Virgil

Re-read of perhaps my favorite book. The most complete novel I've ever read.
>>
Mexico
House of Leaves

It statrted off very well but I've now reached the labyrinth chapter with the screwed up page formatting and pushing through it feels like a chore.
>>
>>8992811
How was Sharp Objects? I'm thinking of picking it up.
>>
australia
the life and opinions of tristram shandy

so much fun, except when i can't control my impulse to try and understand every allusion - though i'm finding many of them fascinating in their own right, rather than as just wanting to to understand them to better understand the work (in fact, i think the barrage of allusions is meant to wash over you a bit on first reading)
>>
Hungary
The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe
War and Peace

I had to take a break from War and Peace because I found it hard to read after 3 books, so I picked up Shadow of the Torturer and I love it. The chapters aren't too long, the story is shaping up to be good (altough a bit slow in the beginning) and the world setting is interesting so far. I'm about 120 pages in and thinking about buying the whole New Sun series.
>>
>>8994196
not the person you replied to but it's alright. the quality of the writing is noticeably worse than gone girl but it's a fun read, i remember reading it in one day because i couldn't put it down
>>
>>8994257
read tom jones next
>>
Camil petrescu-last night of love,first day if war
Its so fucking good
>>
>20
>u.s.
>im still reading infinite jest
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
File: 1480263184632.jpg (39KB, 374x347px) Image search: [Google]
1480263184632.jpg
39KB, 374x347px
Why are there so many children on /lit/?
>>
philippines
Anna Karenina
why are relationships so fucked up?
>>
>>8990535
>reads propaganda
oh my soul!
>>
22, New Jersey

I'm reading Gardens of the Moon so next time someone recommends that shitty series to me I can have a valid platform to call their taste shit from. I couldn't swallow so much bad writing at once though, so I decided to intersperse it with Twain. I mistakenly picked The Innocents Abroad, though, which is his glorified travel logs. So now I'm breaking the monotony of that with daily readings from Dubliners, and at least comparatively, it's a Godsend. I do plan to finish all three, but it's gonna be at least another week.
>>
Poland
Rereading Dragonlance Autumn atm

I remembered it being more fun
>>
>>8994527
Because /lit/ is for kids.
Reddit is for men like you. You should go join them.
>>
>>8994572
>propaganda
really? or are you just a commie?
>>
>>8988211
>tfw you feell for aussie bait
>>
>>8994561
because you're reading russian lit, tanga

it gets even more complicated when you get to shit like wuthering heights
>>
File: 1467953230578.jpg (17KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
1467953230578.jpg
17KB, 300x250px
>>8994657
it's my first time reading Russian Literature, and I'm new to reading
it's not uncommon to find newfags, so i suppose there's no reason to be rude by saying "tanga"
>>
>19
>Germany
>The first part of Elena's Ferrante My Brilliant Friend
I originally started it out of curiosity and because I wanted to learn more about how to write realistic female characters but I'm really enjoying this so far, very comfy and detailed with a style that is as breezy and light as it is enjoyable.
>>
>20
>NW Argentina
>Mrs Dalloway
although I find it a bit silly at times and I can't take some of the bits seriously, I am enjoying reading it.
>>
Scotland
The Trial by Kafka

K getting mad pussy, and the usher is the biggest cuck in history
>>
>>8987903
Canada
Foucault's Pendulum, started strong then gets stupidly schizophrenic in the middle
>>
Trondheim
Don Quixote
>>
>>8988978
Dope af if you have acid
>>
File: 1480879997746.png (43KB, 542x602px) Image search: [Google]
1480879997746.png
43KB, 542x602px
>24
>Austria
>Silence

also, im lonely, i could use a hug. send help pls
>>
File: IMG_2638.jpg (269KB, 1288x1078px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2638.jpg
269KB, 1288x1078px
NI
Thérèse Raquin

Only started so can't say yet. Interested to see if there's much to it beyond its once-shocking content.
>>
Poland
Humongous Gatsby

He`s not really huge :(
>>
>>8996973
where u at?
>>
>23
>Western NY, USA
>Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

Just started desu, haven't read enough to have a good opinion on it
>>
California
The Shadow Lingers
>>
Florida
Equus

It's okay.
>>
Ohio
Dream Yoga
It's more scientific than I originally thought it would be
>>
Ireland
The singing Heart, a book of quiet reflection s by Ivan Ilyin

Was interested in the author after hearing the alarmist reports he is the fascist ideologue behind Putins rule. Instead I got a collection of sweet letters to his son imparting life lessons on a Christian lifestyle. Wtf I love Orthodoxy now
>>
>>8987959
Florida, US
Watership Down

I'm really enjoying it. It's extremely comfy and I wasn't expecting all this rabbit lore which is a nice plus.
>>
Nebraska
Hopscotch

It's alright so far, I don't like how cortazar references a ton of shit in it tho
>>
>>8987903
Teen
North
I just finished Fahrenheit 451.

Loved it. Reminded of the crazy lefty fuckers who want to censor everything offensive
>>
socal
dune

not at all what i expected, don't really like the way conversations work, like how characters talk to each other, but i'm into the meta-analysis of the act of "reading"/ the ecological overtones
>>
bumpteen
bumpton
bumpling the bumps by bumpley bumperstein
>>
>>8998024
>>and how do you like it
>>
>>8998029
all things considered, it bumps
>>
>>8994615
Is this ironic or is reddit really older than /lit/?
>>
Venti
Flip
Dune
Good
>inb4 fantasy
>>
>>8988296
Gotta say, didn't expect people in Tacoma to be well read, but the only three people I know from there actually are quite avid readers.
>>
>>8987903
27m usa
In My Own Way - Alan Watts

I love it. His autobiography is somehow even more interesting than his purely 'philosophical' works
>>
>21
>colorado
Intro to Film Criticism
-or something like that it's pretty well written and accessible
PKD - A Scanner Darkly
-digging the similar pynchon vibes of paranoia here except this is more explicitly genre-y
>>
>>8998055
Reddit is for 30 year old IT guys, wagecuck normies who don't have the free time to waste on "meme" culture and r/trees dude lmao stoners.

4chan is for edgy highschoolers and resentful uni students, most of which come across as immature by virtue of their virginity.

/lit/s user base is older than the 4chan average but it still gets spillover from the other boards
>>
>>8997716
Oh cool, I'm in Nebraska too. Which city?
>>
>>8998844
Please, reddit has just as many teens as 4chan - they just lack the edge and deep set rage of the autists that come here. Reddit teens are much more like stereotypical nu-males than those on 4chan.
>>
File: laundry_day.jpg (46KB, 432x266px) Image search: [Google]
laundry_day.jpg
46KB, 432x266px
Lousiainia
Illuminatus! Book 1: The Golden Eye Spiral(?)

I mean it's my second time trying to read it through and i've invoked the assistance of the I Ching this time (not really, i just opened to a random spot and read and did the same and read) I wonder if R.A.W wrote it that way because it's just as coherent as before. I'm not enjoying his propaganda and lies about the colour white and how apparently it's so evil and creepy. DiscordiisEranism isn't as cool as i remembered her being six years ago. I am afraid she'll steal my innocence again me if i continue to read this entertaining slop. But i cannot look away. Going to throw it away soon if i can't salvage anything.
>>
>29
>Straya
>Submission: Houellebecq
>Christ the Conqueror of Hell: Alfeyev
>The Pike: Hughes-Hallett
(usually read a few books at a time, one fiction, one theology/patristics, one history/philosophy/science/whatever depending on mood.)
>>
>>8987903
20's
US of A
Fear and Loathing on the campaign trail 72
HST living through a shitty election as a political junkie
>>
>>8998949
Forgot to say what I even felt of the books.
Almost finished Submission and I've liked it so far. It has moments of brilliance but I'm not sure how I feel about it as a whole. The Pike I've just started, but so far it's great. Christ the Conqueror is interesting as I rethink my concept of heaven and hell and the new earth.
>>
>>8997045
Vienna
>>
>19
>Lebanon
>Kafka on the shore
>>
File: 32479-6286520938_3a9576538a_b.jpg (350KB, 1024x847px) Image search: [Google]
32479-6286520938_3a9576538a_b.jpg
350KB, 1024x847px
>29
>Michigan
>Jerusalem by Alan Moore. It's incredible. Only about 120 pages in but I'm going to savor this one.
>>
Brazil
O Casamento (the wedding?), Nelson Rodrigues

There's a lot of shit, literally, and I'm enjoying it! Just waiting for the incest scene.
>>
>21
>California
>MacBeth, I dig it.
>>
Sweden (short-term)
South of the Border, West of the Sun

I really dig Murakami's straightforwardly feelsy material in general and this is just more of that. Fluff for art kids, basically.
>>
>>8998975
I study in Vienna
>>
>>8987903
North Carolina
Infinite Jest; it seems the prose is good but I am waiting for the cream of the book.
>>
>>9000204
baka
>>
>19
>new jersey
>a clash of kings
It fucking sucks. Way too many characters, and everyone is either booring, an idiot, an asshole, some combination of the three, or they get pushed to the wayside. The plot moves at a glacial speed to boot.
>>
Are there any decent books set in Warhammer fantasy ? besides Gotrex and Felix
>>
>18
>norway
>crime and punishment
>>
File: nico (1).jpg (124KB, 763x1117px) Image search: [Google]
nico (1).jpg
124KB, 763x1117px
>>8987903
Central Italy
The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi, i'm enjoying it.
>>
>>8988332
>thinks Dubliners is rough 2 stories in
>wew lad
Just wait until you get to The Dead, anon. You're in for a treat. Fucking amazing book.
>>
>>8989951
No one gives her enough credit for being hilarious.
>>
>>8994932
>from Scotland
mate there is nae fuckin way you acht'lly speak like that
>>
>>8998971
I'm about to start Submission. Saw it in book store having read Atomised like 7 years ago, read and the back and bought it immediately cause I just HAD to know where he was going with that plot. Good to hear it's good.
>>
>18
>Chilel
>American Pastoral
It's pretty fucking boring so far.
>>
Mexico City
El Aleph

Borges is one of the best storytellers of all time, I'm re-reading that compilation. Needless to say, I'm enjoying it greatly.
>>
>>9000572
GET A MEDIC IN HERE, HE IS HAVING A SEIZURE.
>>
File: 1457613522599.jpg (33KB, 599x400px) Image search: [Google]
1457613522599.jpg
33KB, 599x400px
>29
>Twin Cities, MN
>House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones

When I get depressed I read YA fantasy. My cat got sick, I got sad, and I started rereading Howl's Moving Castle and its two sequels (Castle in the Air and House of Many Ways). They're all pretty fun. If you've seen the Ghibli movie, go read the book. It's much better.
>>
>>8987903
Bosnia aka Baznia
Milenium IV

Mnah, read 1984 before millenium so...
>>
File: 1366426949452.gif (2MB, 280x202px) Image search: [Google]
1366426949452.gif
2MB, 280x202px
>>8987903
>25
>Oregon, 'Murica
>Just finished 120 Days Of Sodom last night

"Eh" it wasn't anything special, I genuinely chuckled at some spots, one or two instances made me gag a little.

I dunno what I'll read now, tried picking up "History Of The Peloponnesian War" but it seems like too much of a slog at the moment.

Might browse Barnes & Noble for something new.
>>
>>8988013
Read Taiko several months back.
>>
>>8988073
Is Journey to the West breddy gud?
>>
>>8989193
>>8989317
>Ausfags say Australia is hot

What a fucking shock.
>>
>>8997725
Messiah is far superior to Dune imo
>>
>>8987959
Florida
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

It's really good. I don't agree with him entirely but it really makes you think
>>
File: Va11halla_0.png (25KB, 376x402px) Image search: [Google]
Va11halla_0.png
25KB, 376x402px
Denmark
Lolita.

I really love it.
>>
>>9002398
Its fucking blazing mate. This shit is killer. Can't even fucking read for more than 30 minutes.
>>
>>9002487
Which is like... Almost always?
>>
USA/ Massachusetts
Kafka by the Shore by Murakami

Love that magic realism bbbyyyyy
>>
>22
>Western Australia
>The Waves by Woolf

It took me a bit to get into it but I'm really enjoying it now
>>
Canada
Notes from a Dead House

It's my first Dostoevsky book and I'm enjoying it a lot so far, I'm about a third of the way through. I dunno if I have the patience for his larger works but I'm tempted to give them a try.
>>
>>9002398
I read just fine because I'm not a poor cunt who can't afford aircon or a fan
>>
perth
a multitude of sins

I'm 5 pages in

>>9002513
represent
>>
>>9002517
Fans dont do shit and AC makes my eyes hurt. I'd really just live somewhere that isn't a giant shithole.
>>
>>8987903
India
Abaft the Funnel
>>
>>9002663
And I like most of the stories
>>
File: seattlewinter.jpg (861KB, 2457x1382px) Image search: [Google]
seattlewinter.jpg
861KB, 2457x1382px
Seattle
Foundation Trilogy (on book 3)
>>
File: 415HaUR9k3L._SL1500_.jpg (24KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
415HaUR9k3L._SL1500_.jpg
24KB, 333x500px
'Merica
This boss ass book.
Thread posts: 266
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.