[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Chomsky a genocide hipster? The only genocides he cares about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Is Chomsky a genocide hipster? The only genocides he cares about are the Tiny Mixtapes/NYRB of genocide which are of no interest to anybody but losers with too much time on their hands
>"oh you think Laotian genocide was bad? Have you even heard of East Timor, you fucking pleb? Super influential and underrated"
>"Holy shit, you're into the RWANDAN genocide? what is this, 1994? It's time to grow up and learn about Sri Lanka."
>"lmao, Cambodia wasn't REAL genocide. Cambodia is a ClearChannel corporate propaganda bullshit genocide. You want to talk about genocide, let's talk about what Turkey's doing to the Kurds. Something that actually happened"
>>
>the Tiny Mixtapes/NYRB of genocide

I appreciate that you coined this. I'm gonna keep this stored in my memory.
>>
hi zizek
>>
The word genocide is practically just a synonym for the holocaust in America, using it to describe other events will cause massive butthurt amongst some group
>>
it's difficult to pull off defending the accusation of "hipster" to intellectuals who use terms to infer their own intellectual dominance. and even more so when thrown at someone who has been writing about international atrocities for half a century, but i'll give it a shot?

i think many people reading chompsky get confused on his stance, maybe it's the vibe of most of us that use the chons absorb and deflect onto our peers. most people have read On Anarchy and maybe Propaganda and the Public Mind (at least most of the people shitposting) for a college class or something, but don't go for his other books that are patently less formal, or much more in depth on a given topic. i'd suggest reading Chronicles of Dissent, much less of the "tiny desk concert" (or whatever pithy aphorisms that butters your parsnips) about smaller genocides.

it's interviews that show you a less academic side of him. what i'm getting from this and the sister thread "does reading about politics make you smarter inb4 i have no common sense" is that you're assuming Chompsky is trying to one-up genocide in Laos/Cambodia like a modern hipster, but he's already written entire books on the subjects supposedly being one-upped (Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam - At War with Asia) and is trying to call attention to lesser known, covered up atrocities - the NYT definitely fucking won't! most people actually DON'T know about East Timor, Laos (or anything in 60's Indochina for that matter), El Salvador, Kurds, or Muslims being slaughtered in India (Arudhati Roy's area of expertise). nor do they care/appreciate/know about the role of the American state in these matters.

he wasn't the first or only to write about them, but as a tenured professor and department head at one of the most influential American universities, ofc he's going to use that position to bring attention to these things. strangely, when you've been doing something for something like 60 years, people will listen, and he's trying to get that to domestic ears. what's sad is that people love him in other countries like the UK, Spain, France, etc, and domestically we're prone to enjoying Foucault/Zizek. he wasn't even on NPR until the late eighties, which is saying something, since he was active for almost 20 years at that point.

it'd be one thing if he was verbatim saying "you fucking whatever term, how dare you not be intellectually or educationally aware enough to know about this tiny, satellite country being raped sideways by our mercenary army: Israel" but he never does. Chompsky has pretty much always had a stance of "it's pretty goddamn lunatic that we try to bring these situations into forum and the the intelligentsia are so indoctrinated into the state's propaganda that they're literally calling me names instead of looking at this atrocity for what it is."

>>8988109
well yeah dude, it's a jewish term for catastrophe? i can't even tell if this is bait, fuck
>>
>>8988316
Using "genocide" to describe other events is seen this way, not using "holocaust."
>>
>>8987318
upboated
>>
>>8988316
I think you took this shitpost way too seriously
>>
funny, thanks for the laugh
>>
>>8987318
He still won't touch White Genocide, that means he's a pleb
>>
File: 1451276109259.jpg (29KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
1451276109259.jpg
29KB, 400x350px
>it's a /pol/ poster hates Chomsky because he's an intelligent, influential, leftist Jew but cannot come up with any substantial criticism episode
>>
>>8988674
>Intelligent
>Venezuela

The only thing Chomsky has correctly predicted in the last thirty years is Trump.
>>
I dunno dude, why don't you write a thinkpiece for HuffPo about it.
>>
>>8989082
hes a linguist and social critic, not fucking nostradamus, you idiot
>>
>>8988316
>Ending a statement with a question mark, twice

Get the fuck out of here you filthy homo.
>>
>>8989450
Then he shouldn't make predictions because he ends up looking like a retard
>>
>>8988316
>it's a jewish term for catastrophe
Lol.
You can't be this ignorant.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.