[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you revere modernism so much? Joyce, Woolf, Hemingway;

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Why do you revere modernism so much? Joyce, Woolf, Hemingway; their books are so unengaging. In the end all they seem to be saying is "look at how much I can do with so little; I love Life more than you do."

Explain it to me, what's the appeal?
>>
Whats the point of a sunset, or pretty flowers, or colorful birds, id wish theyd all go away, theres no real reason for the sky to be blue for that matter, and too, the mountains should all be flattened for all I do not care, yes, smash all the bottles of perfume at once, better yet bury them at the bottom of a garbage dump and make it law to make no more, and how many clothing stores are there again, there ought be no more than 5 styles of shirt, and 5 styles of pants, enough already, 5 styles of shoe, a dictionary should lose its word mass by half a halved half of half a halved half of half, and then a bit much more, why cant the world just be one big checker board, but black and white
>>
>>8983312
my diary desu happened senpai
>>
>>8984897
i don't know why i just read this word vomit
>>
>>8984897
>Whats the point of a sunset
at this moment i knew this would be shit
>>
>>8983312
Because most fiction doesn't remotely resemble real experience. Modernism was an attempt to address this.
>>
>>8985140
>>8984969

Heres your (You)s boys, congrats, you did it. Now see if you can trade these pearls for oats
>>
>>8985140
i knew >>8984969
i ..... i dont know.... i .... iiiiii .... i just dont know.... i think your writing is shit..... i... iiiiii ....... iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ..... i think your writing is bad....... iii i i i i ii i i i i i ....... at this moment iiiiiiiiiiiiii knew your iiiiiiii ii i i i i i i knew your writing would be shit... i ... me... i i i i i i i ii did
>>
i love modernism for reasons i can't easily explain
even the word modernism conjures a little pavlovian pleasure in me. i am smiling as i write this.
>>
>>8983312
Because haughty autists (see: Nabokov) cannot into empathy, and only care about aesthetics and maybe personal revelations---both of which are quite important to art, don't get me wrong. But this is why /lit/ 'gets' Joyce, Pynchon, Gaddis and not Henry James, Balzac, Gogol, etc.

And of course there's the posturing aspect. With that said, the better modernists *are* genius.
>>
>>8986739
>Henry James, Balzac, Gogol,
Its not that /lit/ does not get them, or appreciate, respect, and enjoy them, its just that they are more boring if you have ADD
>>
>>8986753
That too. Modernism is very beautiful on a sentence-by-sentence basis, whereas pre-modernist literature is far more holistic.
>>
>>8985140
>>8986717
You must be 18 to post on 4chan, so certainly not half that. Consider your samefagself reported.
>>
>>8986761
>Modernism is very beautiful on a sentence-by-sentence basis
Modernism in some sense maybe, idk, was/is(?) like blending poetry and novel? Filling a text with life and blood and breath
>>
>>8986753
I agree. The introduction to Pére Goriot was annoying as fuck with the intense description of the surroundings of the bording house. But I think Balzac makes up for it later with his great characters.

I had to focus on it more than a Hemingway novel but I still thought it was great
>>
>>8986739
>Gogol
I feel like Gogol is so playful and extravagant he doesn't really fit w/ James and Balzac. Although yeah, James and Balzac are kind of boring and subtle compared to the other bombastic authors you named.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.