[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /lit/ like Redwall? Read most of the books when I was a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_3466.jpg (69KB, 308x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3466.jpg
69KB, 308x500px
Does /lit/ like Redwall?

Read most of the books when I was a teen and remember enjoying them, even though they were kind of repetitive.
>>
team chickenhound represent
>>
>>8982128
I loved them. My mom read me the first one when I was still pretty little. Then I read Mossflower and Mattimeo and Salamandastron. Thought about reading them again as an adult.
>>
>>8982136
I vaguely recall this name, what book did it appear in?

>>8982143
I'm 25 now and was thinking about going back to them. I think I only missed a handful of the last ones to be published, so it would be nice to finish them off.
>>
File: Slagar2.jpg (11KB, 181x146px) Image search: [Google]
Slagar2.jpg
11KB, 181x146px
>>8982169
Only repeat villain I can think of off the top of my head. Redwall and Mattimeo.
>tfw you just want to live a peaceful life of slave driving
>>
I loved this shit
I'm pretty sure my favorite was The Bellmaker but I read all of the ones that were published by the time I was in elementary school and they were all fucking great
>>
File: long-patrol.jpg (26KB, 200x307px) Image search: [Google]
long-patrol.jpg
26KB, 200x307px
best book in the series
>>
File: taggerung.jpg (16KB, 250x325px) Image search: [Google]
taggerung.jpg
16KB, 250x325px
Taggerung best otter
>>
>>8982128
The Redwall books were all completely fucking based in the extreme.

>high adventure
>riddle solving
>large-scale wars
>real death
>fighting for glory against evil forces
>badger warlords living in a hollow mountain

Salamandastron was objectively the best book but acceptable alternatives are: Lord Brocktree, The Long Patrol, Mossflower, Martin the Warrior, The Legend of Luke, and The Bellmaker.

If you have children, and you haven't provided them with Redwall books I honestly think social services should remove them from your incompetent, negligent reach.
>>
Anyone ever watch the tv series?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqd-DACzMiA
>>
Redwall takes me back to a time when I was a promising kid who loved to learn and who loved to read. Then puberty hit and it was gg.
>>
>>8982453
Im trying to remember which book a specific scene was in. I'm pretty sure it was one of the books that focused on a badger.

The scene was at the end of the book where Slamandstron was besieged, and I think by the time Redwallers got there to back them up they had been defeated? This scene sticks out so much because I remember there was a hate and squirrel that were bickering with eachother the whole book, and at that final battle they died holding hands. I remember that shit had me in tears.

I'm pretty sure it was either Salamandstron, Sunflash the Mace, or Lors Brocktree?

Whichever it was, that book hit me the hardest. Runner up was Outcast of Redwall. I really believed in that weasel.
>>
I can't find a Kindle torrent of the book but I see it wss narrated by the author on audible. Should I get Redwall? what are the order of it anyway?
>>
>>8982566
>I really believed in that weasel
Jacques' message was simple: dindus will be dindus.
>>
I got through like 4 or 5 of them as a kid. good stuff
>>
>>8982600
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall

It doesn't really matter what order you read them in as long as you don't read Mattimeo before Redwall.
>>
>>8982600
Redwall is loosely ordered. There's a chronology, but the books are episodic and mostly self-contained. You can really read any of them in any order, though I started with Martin the Warrior.

I'd say if you wanted to read 5 you could do
>Martin the Warrior -> Mossflower -> Redwall -> Salamandastron -> The Long Patrol
which would give you a good starting basis in the Martin mythos, take you to Redwall itself, then Salamandastron and that area.

>>8982566
Yeah I forget which one that was but it sounds familiar. I keep forgetting there are so many stories in the Redwall universe, I didn't remember Sunflash until you brought him up, but he was a great character and fully developed and cool as fuck. The whole Redwallverse is just so dense with Greek-style mythos that you can have shit like this happen, have fully formed Homeric heroes just vanish into the background because there's so much floating around.
>>
>>8982566
Lord Brocktree I think, read it when I was 9. I remember the bitchin ending where Brocktree snaps Trunns spine and leaves him on the beach for the high tide, then at night his former sage he betrayed appears and pushes him into the sea, repeating the chant "shaker of earth, master of the sun, ruler of the waves" in mockery
>>
>>8982635
Top kek. Badgers are dope as fuck in these books.
>>
>>8982635
FUCK DUDE I REMEMBER THAT

HOLY SHIT that scene was insane.

I remember reading that, that was such a fantastic way to end that story, with the bad guy getting his back broken and all.

Holy hell man I love this thread it's really taking me back.
>>
>>8982645
When they become overcome with bloodlust they tear shit up. In Mossflower, Brocktrees son Boar dies fighting surrounded by pirates stabbing him as he crushes their captain's head onto his spiked armour.
>>
>>8982566
Nah I'm pretty sure you're talking about The Long Patrol, the squirrel was that old veteran type who had a short black stick and sung some stupid song about it. She meets up at Salamandastrom for the B plot in that story.
>>
>>8982710
Salamandastron wasn't sieged in the Long Patrol, Lady Crimson eyes or whatever you call her sends the long patrol overland to intercept the Rapscallions as they land on the eastern coast. Though the end is also good where she wrestles with the leader in a big battle, as they fall off a cliff together, the rat stabbing her eyes as she bites clumps out of him. She appeared in two further books as a blind motherly figure in the abbey
>>
>>8982660
>when the old blind badger lady living at Redwall flips shit to defend the Dibbuns
Holy SHIT
How can anyone ever pretend other kids' books can compete with Jacques
>>
>>8982600
Post it if you find it, I'm interested too now
>>
>>8982742
Lady Cregga Rose Eyes

She had so much Bloodwrath that her eyes were permanently pink.

I remember there was a pretty solid segment about her slaving over a forge for days without eating or sleeping, forging a massive polearm with a forged edge to kill the Rapscallion leader, and that she was only sustained by sheer rage and will the entire time.

Why were badgers so fucking awesome?
>>
I liked them when I was younger but when I try to read them now they're invariably shit.
>>
>>8982783
Are they really? I honestly don't want to reread them because of the risk of this happening
>>
>>8983000
Watership Down is basically Redwall +
Jacques is a hack who copied it to death with his own style, but if you read Watership Down you'll understand that it's a better application of the fantasy concept to animals than redwall ever was.
>>
>>8982645
Badgers were definitely what got me most hype.

I'm pretty sure Legend of Luke was the first one I read. I remember the imagery of the ships held up by the two rock pillars really captivating.

Holy shit this thread is giving me mad nostalgia.
>>
>>8983518
Really killing my nostalgia, anon :[
>>
>>8983518
>any book with anthropomorphic animals is a rip off of Watership Down
ok m8
>>
>>8983755
My reaction too
They have basically nothing in common
>>
>>8983518
No it wasn't. Richard Adams didn't invent talking animals and the rabbits of Watership Down have very little in common with any of the animals in Redwall. Watership Down is way lighter on anthropomorphization, basically, and all sorts of other differences flow from that.
>>
>>8984300
this
>>
File: Redwall tattoo 2016.jpg (35KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Redwall tattoo 2016.jpg
35KB, 540x960px
Y'all ain't got nothin' on me, I'm such a big fan of Redwall I got a fuckin' tattoo. Wooooo.
>>
I missed them completely when young, tried to read the first book as a bitter old adult. It was unreadable: just infuriatingly bad pablum. I gave up quickly and went back to MouseGuard.
>>
>>8983518
Watership Down is better but i don't think Redwall is ripping it off just because they're both about animals.
>>
>>8982600
The Audiobook versions are real treats. They are done full cast with music to accompany the half dozen songs in each book. Mental comfort food at its finest!
>>
>praise for badgers
>no mention of Urthstripe the Strong
recognize
>>
Finbarr Galedeep best fuckin otter, also the food in those books always sounded amazing even if I thought I wouldn't really eat it if it were in front of me the food descriptions always made me hungry.
>>
>>8986995
BADgers is right kek
go fuck a mouse or something
>>
>>8987053
>being this much of a fox loving pleb
>>
mariel is pretty based despite being female martin
>>
>>8987013
Has anything comfier ever been put into writing?
I have no idea what dandelion cordial would taste like but goddamn did he make it seem great
>>
I loved these books as a kid but couldn't tell you a single detail about any of them

Also found it very difficult to conceptualize the size of badgers, hares, moles and mice being in the same dining hall (let alone the same army)
>>
>>8988455
Depending on which specific Badger we're talking about I imagined their sizes based on their grandiosity of their exploits. I generally thought of them as between the sizes of WoW orcs and taurens, with most other species being a bit smaller or larger than WoW humans.
>>
>>8982500
I watched the series when I was an itty bitty boy. I tried watching them a few days ago and could not sit through the first few episodes.
>>
>>8988651
Yeah they haven't aged well
>>
>>8988455
Most of the animals are within a similar size range in the books.

The only animals that are ever mentioned that are larger than other animals are both in the original Redwall and that was a horse and a cat or something.
>>
Redwall was based.

>good guys are always good
>kids make mistakes growing up, get others killed
>bad guys always bad
>good always wins in the end
>riddles
>songs

I don't even care how similar they all were. No one managed a timeline like Jacques, publishing the books out of strict chronological order.

>>8982128
I met Jacques once. Nice guy, really funny

>who wants to hear a story?
>everyone raises hands
>who wants to hear a song?
>everyone raises hands
>greedy American children

>>8982566
I think it was the Long Patrol, and the squirrel's name was Russa Nodrey? Because a badger was named Runnano later on (but earlier in the books).

>>8988884
I think there was a horse in the first two chapters (un-named) and a cat later on.

>tfw you're enough of an autist to remember details of books you haven't read in a decade
>>
>>8982128
I don't remember much but that it gave me some heart when I was small and my family was very poor. That and his descriptions of food and his worldbuilding were fantastic, liked The Long Patrol and Loamhedge best.
>>
>thread of /lit/ about popular children's fantasy series
>full of praise, warmth, and camaraderie
>even criticism is tempered and reasonable

God damn, Brian Jacques had a special gift.
>>
Never actually read them, but I've been meaning to for years.
>>
>>8988884
Snakes also tended to be way bigger than everybody else iirc, and I think there was at least one book where the pike or carp or something in the river was gigantic enough to eat regular animals
>>
I randomly loaned one from the library and realized it was about mice when I got home and never read it cause that put me off
>>
File: RedwallBookCover.jpg (41KB, 240x400px) Image search: [Google]
RedwallBookCover.jpg
41KB, 240x400px
>>8983631
> imagery of the ships held up by the two rock pillars
That was due to the excellent cover art of the original books.
I remember seeing the cover of American versions and later UK version and thinking what the fuck!
>>
>that wildcat warlord getting his face mutilated by a fucking bird
This haunted me when I was younger. The name of the book is slipping my mind. It's my favorite after Outcast of Redwall.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.