[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>names his book after a Shakespeare quote Why the fuck do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0619.jpg (41KB, 300x464px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0619.jpg
41KB, 300x464px
>names his book after a Shakespeare quote
Why the fuck do authors do this? It's a cliche at this point.
>>
>>8973193
Shakespere is the original memester. his memes are so dank we still use them 500 yrs later.
>>
>>8973193
David Foster Wallace decorated this whole book with importance, if you watch him in interviews he can tell you about the themes of his books and the points he wanted to express before any of the artistic aspects. It's philosophical/ intellectual showmanship, it's not art.

And it doesn't just stop with what he accomplished in Infinite Jest. Even right before it hit the press, he was trying to paste a picture from Fritz Lang's Metropolis as the cover art. It is one of the most didactic pieces of literature ever created, probably its only unique quality.
>>
Because he wrote a lot of badass one liners that in and of themselves possess more depth than what mediocre talents will ever produce in their lifetime. So not only do you get a cool title for your book, but you also convey what your book is about on a deeper level. Honestly, you could probably skim any work of Shakes, pick out a cool line, and from that alone build an entire novel around it.
>>
>>8973193
Give me 5 examples that would have made a better tittle for his book?

Does anyone know if he was considering any other title?
>>
>>8973247
"MEME"
>>
>>8973247
I know he was considering another title and his editor suggested Infinite Jest. At least something like that.
>>
>>8973635
a failed entertainment? or something
>>
The Fault in Our Stars is a Shakespeare quote from Julius Caesar
>>
>>8973247

Sad and Banal
>>
>>8973193
I'm going to title all my books after Aztec Camera songs.
>>
>>8973661
>>8973247
Yes, that was the working title
GR's was "mindless pleasures"...
>>
>>8973635
no, this is wrong
>>
>>8973661
>a failed entertainment?
>>8973719
>GR's was "mindless pleasures".

interesting how both of them, as so unsubtle and direct, and would offer a totally different feel. Those are the hidden maybe big points of summery what the authors really thought they were trying to say.

And it is funny (?) that so many people hate on IJ , because it is, whatever, boring, a failed entertainment (and of course, wasnt going to say this obviousness, but, the book is majorly about the entertainment and what not)
>>
>>8973193
How many people do you think knew it was a shakesphere quote (how many do you think cared, if they did find out), I dont think Shakespeare invented the words infinite, and jest. There are many two word combos, thats a good and fitting one for the book, certainly, maybe.
>>
>>8973247
And But So Because And But
>>
>>8973247
"No Discernible Talent"
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.