[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How should one start with the Greeks? Let's settle this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: greeks.jpg (4MB, 6912x3584px) Image search: [Google]
greeks.jpg
4MB, 6912x3584px
How should one start with the Greeks? Let's settle this once and for all. As someone looking to start, and tired of missing allusions to Greek mythology, I've got myself the Iliad. But I want to ensure I know enough about the culture I'm reading to understand the significance.

Here are two charts that have been posted on this board. Both have been submitted as accurate, and both have been criticized by others. We're going to decide in this thread what you truly need to read to start with the Greeks.
>>
pick something and read it instead of pussyfooting around like a faggot and making excuses not to read shit
>>
File: 1483301261728.png (13KB, 530x492px) Image search: [Google]
1483301261728.png
13KB, 530x492px
>not starting with the Epic of Gilgamesh

ISHYGDDT
>>
>>8971398
Already did.

>>8971383
>pick something and read it
That's what I'm trying to do. Perhaps you could give a suggestion instead of pussyfooting around like a faggot and making excuses not to give an educated response.
>>
>>8971378
I don't see what you're confused about OP. Both charts are really similar in general. Just do what you feel and stop it with the fucking hand holding.

If you want to start with the greeks, read up on Greek mythology, culture and society of the bronze age up until the archaic age. After reading a couple books on that, you can proceed to Homer. From there, just read every single piece of greek literature in chronological order until you give up.
>>
>>8971424
Essentially I'm asking this because I've heard different things. The lengthier chart on the left is unnecessary, any prior reading is unnecessary, just reading Wikipedia is necessary. No one can seem to agree. I want to start, but I don't want to approach the book with an incomplete understanding, and leave the book behind not knowing that I missed a ton of important things due to my lack of knowledge. I'm sure many people have the same feeling since you see threads about ways to start with the Greeks posted so often.
>>
>>8971439
No matter what, you will miss a lot of important things the first time you read a good book. People dedicate their entire careers to Homer.

Even with all the pre-reading in the world, we have lost the Cypria and the Aethiopis and the Little Iliad and all the others.

Read the Iliad and the Odyssey to start with. If you have absolutely no idea of who the Greek Gods are, read Hamilton's Mythology or Graves's Greek Myths.
>>
>>8971461
Both of those charts have other books to read before the Iliad besides Mythology. Why do you think that they're unnecessary?
>>
>>8971479
>The Trojan War - A New History
Retells the Iliad in the light of modern research. Read if you want to know how "true" the poem is after you've read the book
>Ancient Greece/A Short History of Ancient Greece
Read along side the entire chart, don't just cram all of greek history at the start.
>First Poets
Read their poetry, not their lives. You don't really need a history of lyric poetry before reading the main epic poem that's still survived. And, again, probably improved by reading Homer before you read about him.
>>
>>8971378

You should start with the Sumerians.
>>
how's this
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
>>
>>8971493
Thanks. At the very least, this will allow me to start on the Iliad after reading Mythology.
>>
>>8972730
>allow me
You were waiting for special permission from 4chan? Just read. You're wasting time trying to "settle things once and for all".
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.