[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anybody read this bad boy? just finished rewatching twin peaks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

anybody read this bad boy? just finished rewatching twin peaks & fire walk with me in preparation for the upcoming series, and was wondering if this was worth a read. or any of the other twin peaks novels, for that matter.
>>
>>8962351
im a big twin peaks fan but i havent read it. i think ive heard its not really worth it. but also i guess id be more interested in stuff lynch does with twin peaks than mark frost.
>>
>>8962366
>but also i guess id be more interested in stuff lynch does with twin peaks than mark frost.
yeah this seems a reasonable approach. looking through now though, and apparently frost has written a few novels. wonder how those are.
>>
A book about, or based on a tv show? So I can waste my life base on entertainment made for television! My that's brilliant! Can I get it for an extra edition price?
>>
Don't listen to others in this thread, it's definitely worth picking up, if for no other reason than to feel that Twin Peaks atmosphere. And honestly, it reads very fast. It goes deeper into a lot of the characters back stories and really fleshed out the universe from the show that much more. It even made me cry at points, but then again I'm just a gigantic faggot for the series.
>>
>>8963138
And it's a beautiful book. It's just a cool artifact to have if you are a fan of the show.
>>
>>8962351

I read it. Neat if you are into American history. Definitely more Frost than Lynch (obviously), for better or worse - not much of the surreal stuff. Even manages to make aliens feel demystified. Still, I enjoyed it a lot, and it's a gorgeous book.
>>
>>8962351
Lynch himself hasn't read it and neither have I, other than some excerpts posted on the internet, but it's probably worth a read - or not, depending on what it is you like about Twin Peaks. If what you like most is the mystery, the dreamlike and surreal aspects - it's probably not for you. But maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>>8962351
I love Twin peaks to death but this book is just not good.

In a really cheap attempt to bolster the weight of the original mythos, which is substantial in its own right, Frost has essentially written an entire book linking each and every famous American urban myth to Twin Peaks. It reads like fanfiction. If you want hundreds of pretty lazily written pages about how Twin Peak related to the JFK Assassination, or the faked moon landing, or aliens, or the Illuminati etc then go for it.

There is very little here that is relevant to the series. The main character that is 'fleshed out' in this book is a minor character who isn't in the new series and wasn't relevant in the slightest to the last two. And honestly he's only invoked to give Frost an excuse to splerge about all these conspiracy theories.

A lot of what made Twin Peaks, and other Lynchian things, special for me was that they were small, they were condensed, they were isolated. It's the idea that you could drive down a backroads and stop in a small town for coffee unbeknownst that the town hides dark secrets. But then you'd drive away again. It's the hidden, it's the subtle, it's what's lurking. The horror in Lynch is psychological and deep and contrary to American ideals. What Frost has done here is fundamentally misunderstand that and drag the horror and mystery down to a cliched "OMG THE ILLUMINATI IS BEHIND EVERYTHING" level & not only that but misunderstand suspense, to Frost the way to raise the stakes of the Twin Peaks world is endanger more people, involve more myths etc, but other in such endeavors less is more.

And I won't spoil anything, but what substantial 'canon' things you learn about old characters can be written on less than a half side of A4 and will all almost certainly be addressed in the new series. If you want to find out things like what happened post-Bank Explosion early then go ahead, but there's no way the new season won't explain it.

In short, this book is poorly written, poorly conceptualised, I wouldn't even recommend it to 'completionists' & honestly it sheds a light on who the genuine creative force behind Twin Peaks was if we didn't already know it. Hint: it's not Mark Frost.
>>
>>8964258
I agree with the entirety of your post. It's nice knowing Lynch hasn't read the book. Honestly, I think it was just a way for Mark Frost to vent some ideas he never got to use or expand upon, and I don't believe it's any indication of what's to come in the new series.
>>
>>8964258
Don't be too hard on Mark though, I think he's brought a lot to the series - it's just that it only works in tandem with Lynch's vision.
>>
I read pic related and thought it was pretty fun.
>>
>>8962463
Cringed
>>
>>8964258
jeez, quite the condemnation. definitely makes me reconsider this read.
>>
File: image.png (400KB, 761x674px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
400KB, 761x674px
>>8962463
Talk shit about Twin Peaks again. I dare ya.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.