[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it worth reading english translations of east asian literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Rokō_Segawa_VI_as_Tomoe-gozen.jpg (353KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
Rokō_Segawa_VI_as_Tomoe-gozen.jpg
353KB, 500x700px
is it worth reading english translations of east asian literature?
or is the language and culture too different to get a proper reading without the original language?

is the "lost in translation" ratio much bigger than works translated from ancient greek? or arabic?
>>
>>8960219
I like ideas, not pretty words.
>>
>>8960219
it's all lost in translation
>>
>>8960222
but can we fully grasp the ideas when the gap between the languages is so large?
>>
>>8960219
Obviously depends what you mean by a 'proper reading'. Personally I read for fun so I can't see how that could be a problem.
>>
>>8960230
Commentaries
>>
>>8960230
Yes we can.
>>
>>8960230
Do you imagine you can ever 'fully grasp' anything? If so, how?
>>
>>8960233
>depends what you mean by a 'proper reading'
I mean when the text isn't affected by the bias of the translator's culture and language and represents as closely as possible what the author intended

>>8960240
well, if its in english, you can repeatedly read it and study it. but if its a poor translation, you can re-read it all you want but the information you're looking for might just not be there, or be corrupted.
>>
>>8960251
I don't see how a language being East Asian would affect the problem you present- whichever language it is, the translator acts as an extra intermediary. I'd say the individual competence/approach of the translator is a far bigger issue than anything else.
>>
>>8960251
Any person that works as a translator likely has a very good understanding of the work they are translating and the scholarship on it. In fact you might even say they are professionals. The
>Translations
Meme here is just a meme. Read whatever you want and trust that the person who translated it understands the text better than you would if you learnt the language and translated it yourself.
>>
>>8960292
>>8960295
I see, thanks for the advice
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.