[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best translation for Dante's Inferno? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

What is the best translation for Dante's Inferno?

I'm looking for an affordable version of it. The Signet classics version translated by John Ciardi (1952) looks alright, but I just don't know.

Also considering the Bantam Classics multi-lingual version translated by Allen Mandelbaum (1982). I have no real need for the Italian though.

Any other reasonably priced translation recommendations welcome. Thanks.
>>
What is it with these requests for 'affordability'? Do you people not have libraries?
>>
File: 1476210922453.png (2MB, 2000x7594px) Image search: [Google]
1476210922453.png
2MB, 2000x7594px
>>8957057
>>
Protip: The best translation starts with "Nel mezzo del camin di nostra vita"
>>
>>8957057
I read the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow translation and I do not recommend it.
>>
>>8957185
This. People are more interested in investing in the idea that they'll read it sooner or later if they own it, rather than the more practical plan of checking out a book and only having a few weeks to read it and thus lighting a fire under their ass to get it done. I don't take serious anybody that doesn't utilize their local library.
>>
>>8957284
I live in a small town and my library is crap.
>>
>>8957212
Thank you, that image is very helpful.
>>8957270
I'll avoid it, thanks.
>>
>>8957305
Interlibrary Loan exists you know
>>
>>8957319
Yes, and libraries outside of my town are even worse.
>>
>>8957270
>reading anything by Longfellow
I hope you learned your lesson
>>
>>8957325
>all libraries in your country suck
What Godforsaken cultural wasteland do you call home, anon?
>>
Ciardi is a good intro to the trilogy. I like his notes after each canto. I dislike the tercet formula he uses but he reasoning for it is respectable enough. Ciardi was a cool enough dude irl from what I've read of him.
>>
>>8958602
Thanks. I've ordered the Signet Classics - Ciardi translation.

Another question. What about the other two parts - Purgatorio and Paradiso? I hear Inferno mostly talked about, but are you really only getting 1/3rd of the story? Or are the others not so essential.
>>
>>8957057
I like the Hollander translation, it's not too "modernly" translated that it loses the linguistic impact but it's still understandable. Also very extensive notes.
>>
>>8960016
you should read the entire thing.
>>
>>8960043
Thanks. I'll look more into that once I finish Inferno, maybe a couple of times.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.