[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have never seen a successful story where the main character

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Scene.jpg (39KB, 453x610px) Image search: [Google]
Scene.jpg
39KB, 453x610px
I have never seen a successful story where the main character was a Dark and Edgy young adult male (what my editing group likes to call an edgelord character) with more sociopathic tendencies.

I've read and edited a lot of these stories featuring these kinds of characters, (basically they're homages to Light Yagami but are shallow and dumb as fuck, even by anime standard), and they always, ALWAYS become unrelatable after a time, usually around the part of the book when they introduce female characters.

So, /lit/, you're a bitter sarcastic bunch of writers. Have you ever written an "edgelord", and is it even possible to write a good "edgelord" character? Because I have yet to find one that actually had a captivating...anything, going on.
>>
>>8954352
Hmm...Since you brought up anime I will bring up one I just finished that had a good "dark" protag. Although he was not an edgelord.

91 days.

In literature I can't think of many, but in Satanic Verses early Saladin is somewhat edgy. As is some of the cast of Hyperion.
>>
>>8954367
I've never heard of 91 days.

Do you mean the first book or the entire series?
>>
>>8954427
It just aired this year.

I mean the first two, specifically the Consul is a little dark but not necessarily edgy.

The poet is kinda crazy and dark too.
>>
>>8954437
>The poet
>Dark
Not to disparage the character, but he's literally the comic relief, with a sarcastic twist. Honestly the Colonel is darker by far, what with the brutal surface war and all.
>>
Notes From Underground is perfect though
>>
Agree with this

Steppenwolf is the worst culprit
>>
>>8954462
yeah I guess I am having a hard time thinking of what an edgelord would mean in a way that isn't inherently shitty. You're right though, but I still wouldn't call the Colonel edgy really.

Guess I just can't answer the question very well.

Maybe Crime and Punishment
>>
>>8954352
The Stranger
>>
>>8954476
>completely missing the point of steppenwolf

wew lad, it's like a YA book and you managed to fuck it up.
>>
>>8954596
You have not read the book, have you anon? It is just about a massive autist who cannot lie, and has an allergic reaction to the sun.
>>
The edge-lord character is simply a failed subject of writing a broken character, writing a good broken character is possible but it takes a talented emotionally mature writer who does not idolise mentally ill people.

But for someone who sees them for who they are; broken, suffering and vulnerable.

Being mentally ill is never a good thing, and you would not like to live a life of sociopath - especially as it is caused by trauma and emotional abuse, unlike it's counterpart, especially at a young age.

Tell them to grow up, and start to learn what those people would have to go through.

Instead of just writing about what they do to other people, start writing about what they do to themselves.

Or just write comic satire....
>>
>>8954931
Basically this.

So used comedically or tragically its better.

Doesn't the Clockwork Orange portray this completely fucking wrong though?
>>
>>8954352
Notes from Underground? Crime and Punishment?
>>
>>8954470
Seriously, the anonymous underground man is the literary embodiment of the typical edgelord 4chan poster.
>>
>>8954352
No, not written.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.