[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can literary works be great if they don't revise or converse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Blood-Meridian.png (170KB, 465x216px) Image search: [Google]
Blood-Meridian.png
170KB, 465x216px
Can literary works be great if they don't revise or converse with the canon?
>>
>>8954212
It's all relative, newfriend.
>>
>>8954212
I think so. Kafka is great and doesn't
>>
>>8954218
>I think so. Kafka is great and doesn't
>referring to Kafka in the present tense

Pleb detected. Also, he made various references to Greek mythology and the Bible, kiddo.
>>
>>8954216
>newfriend
What? I hope it's not because of the Blood Meridian pic.
>>
It's impossible to have lived in the West and write something independent of the canon.
>>
Implying Blood Meridian doesn't converse with the canon?
>>
>>8954234
John Green's book A Fault In Our Stars alludes to Shakespeare but it doesn't actively participate in a conversation with Shakespeare's works.
>>8954244
No, it's an example of a book that does it extremely well, but you shouldn't have to be told this.
>>
>>8954224
It's called literary present tense. Also, a few allusions does not a significant conversation make. Kafka's works are almost entirely unique (inb4 Walser) and can't be said to be heavily influenced by any writer before him or conversing with the canon significantly.

Although really you could say he REVISED the canon, because a lot of authors after him have followed in his stead with "Kafkaesque" situations and dark humor, making their characters in cardboard caricatures in a dark universe. The postmodernists got a lot from Kafka in terms from tone I think.
>>
>>8954253
What constitutes a conversation?
>>
File: 1484007346702.jpg (21KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1484007346702.jpg
21KB, 480x640px
>>8954332
Kafka was heavily influenced by the like of Dostoevsky (whom he called his blood brother), Hogol, some German writers I can't name offhand, etc.
>>
>>8954354
K. Now compare his writings to Dostoyevsky's, Gogol's, and Kleist's (a German he was influenced by). They may have profoundly impacted him, but his works are totally unique and dissimilar from theirs.

Really I'm being clever because I know what Kafka's stories are most similar to are traditional Jewish texts, tales, jokes and parables

Anyway, yeah, I'd say no work can exist in a vacuum in response to the OP, works feed off of other works, though some works like Kafka's can appear very unique.
>>
File: theroad.jpg (65KB, 275x413px) Image search: [Google]
theroad.jpg
65KB, 275x413px
>>8954212
uhh blood meridian communicates with the canon very well, see: the bible, paradise lost, american western mythology, and moby dick.
>>
>>8954421
>moby dick
>canon
>>
>>8954365
>K.

What about him?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.