[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your guys' thoughts on Coates? I'm most i

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

What are your guys' thoughts on Coates? I'm most interested to hear from those of you who think he's brilliant as I can't find a defense of him that goes beyond name calling and "you can't understand because you're white."

I haven't read "Between the World and Me" but enjoyed Thomas Chatterton Williams' negative review. I think he perfectly captures where the far left has gone wrong in their political application of sociological theories.

So, crazy leftists of /lit/, why am Williams and I wrong?

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n23/thomas-chatterton-williams/loaded-dice
>>
>>8952875
Coates is a hack
saged
>>
>He's a fucking MacArthur Fellow
I am still pissed. Fuck the Obama years.
>>
Godawful. Everything he is saying was said better by Baldwin, Cruse, etc. All Coates brings to the table is the sickly metallic tang of capitalism fucking your throat. He's a sanitised, watered-down, divvied-up and parcelled-out Baldwin. A new generation of house nigger, the new and improved house nigger, who has found a way to suck whitey's dick while still feeling like he's the edgy rebel. Integrate without giving up any of the pride of rebellion, "rebel" without any of the actual difficulty or obscurity of it.

Primarily read by white college students who are the white versions of himself. Capitalism-sanitised, liberal society-approved, status quo non-upsetting slacktivists who want to dabble in the nigger problem, like a hobby, a little accessory or badge they can pin to their faggot hipster newsie cap without ever having to do anything, commit to anything, or be anybody other than a passive consumer.

The deepest pathos someone like Baldwin addresses, the impossibility of a modus vivendi with white people, the impossibility of sanitising or normalising the problem into a little "cause" you can go on CNN and jerk off over, that's what Coates embodies.

Coates is to black people and race issues what an overfed university-educated """"Marxist"""""" from the upper middle class is to leftism. Totally fucking sterile.
>>
>>8952904
cap'd. Thanks anon.
>>
>>8952904

Are there any contemporary black intellectuals that go beyond sterility when engaging with ideas similar to Coates?
>>
>>8952933
you should just read Baldwin
Baldwin has no legitimate successors
>>
File: Rotating golden smile.gif (546KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
Rotating golden smile.gif
546KB, 255x255px
>>8952904
>he's bad but only because he doesn't want to kill whitey enough
Baldwin had an IQ of 107 and was just as shallow and safe as Coates
>>
>>8952904
was baldwin anticapitalist? i really need to read the fire next time at some point.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.