[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This was bad. It reads like a poor man's Céline. Are Factotum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 38501.jpg (43KB, 316x475px) Image search: [Google]
38501.jpg
43KB, 316x475px
This was bad. It reads like a poor man's Céline.
Are Factotum or Post Office better?
>>
>>8952803

They are almost exactly the same books.
>>
It's basically an American version of Celine who fell in love with booze and fighting at an early age. Not as literary or epic, but still a good story of an outcast kid.

I was living in Boston a couple years ago, boozing a lot, when a random guy at the bar pushed a copy of Ham on Rye across the bar towards me. He told me he'd give me the book, but only under the condition that I'd also give it away randomly at a bar when I was done with it. The book was a slight shock, in a good way - I hadn't heard of Bukowski before - and after I was done I gave it away at a bar. Good memories. It's hard for me to read Bukowski now, though, since Celine is basically the same thing but way fucking better. (Have you read Normance?)
>>
>>8952803
It's like a man who drank too much and couldn't decide whether he wanted to be John Fante or Celine.

Personally, I liked Bukowski. Then I started to hate him. After some time went by I picked some of his books back up and started to re-read his stuff and found myself thinking it was pretty okay. Enjoyable, but nothing monumental.
>>
>>8952803
Oh I forgot to say, I think "Pulp" was my favorite book by Bukowski. I really liked "Hollywood" and "Women" too.

But between "Factotum" and "Post Office", I'd read "Post Office" first.
>>
>>8952900

I was sitting in my office, my lease had expired and McKelvey was starting eviction proceedings. It was a hellish hot day and the air conditioner was broken. A fly crawled across the top of my desk. I reached out with the open palm of my hand and sent him out of the game. I wiped my hand across on my right pants leg as the phone rang.

I picked it up. "Ah yes," I said.

"Do you read Celine?" a female voice asked. Her voice sounded quite sexy. I had been lonely for some time. Decades.
>>
>>8952915
Yeah... pretty much. Still I really enjoyed it.

Like I said, I really started to hate Bukowski after I started reading Fante and Celine because I realized that is who he wanted to be. But going back, I like reading about ol' Hank Chinaski
>>
>>8952881
pretty cool story actually. how did you know you'd chosen the 'right' boozer to grant the book?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.