[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought this and that Harold Bloom meme book who are some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

I just bought this and that Harold Bloom meme book
who are some good entry level poets to get into? How did you get into poetry?
>>
>>8952106
look no further than the high school syllabus
>>
Hey, I have that book. It was for my 18-19th Century English Literature class in junior college.

We started with Robert Burns and ended with Wilfred Owen.
>>
>>8954414
Is the font size okay?
>>
File: for a second there.jpg (211KB, 1280x1475px) Image search: [Google]
for a second there.jpg
211KB, 1280x1475px
Not by reading anthologies. You shouldn't be trying to get into poetry, you should be trying to get into poets. A great first book is What the Living Do by Marie Howe. I'd also highly recommend Lighthead by Terrance Hayes, Rose by Li Young Lee, The World Doesn't End by Charles Simic, The Dream of A Common Language by Adrienne Rich, Ariel by Sylvia Plath and either Darker or Reasons for Moving by Mark Strand. My list leans toward contemporary/modern because that's more what I'm into.

Also fuck, Philip Larkin, Anne Sexton and Jack Spicer. Not sure which book I'd recommend by these three for a first read but if you like the others I've recced check them out.
>>
File: tumblr_myv1p6Hoi61qgrualo1_500.jpg (63KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_myv1p6Hoi61qgrualo1_500.jpg
63KB, 500x375px
>>8954483
Also, fuck.*

baka
>>
>>8954483
wow thanks a lot for this actual advice my friend!
>>
>>8954483
Philip Larkin's amazing tho
>>
>>8952106
first of all: don't read any poet that its still alive

second: start with the romans
>>
>>8954483
Thank you for this. Not op but I've only read two poetry books in my life, Selected Poems by E.E. Cummings and some high school anthology I found at a used book store. The Cummings book was one of the most incredible experiences of my life, whereas the anthology (which had cummings poems in it) was so flat and nothing. I shall take your advice senpai.
>>
>>8954483
>Not by reading anthologies. You shouldn't be trying to get into poetry, you should be trying to get into poets.
What? Anthologies is how you finnd poets to get into. Better reading then yourself than trusting the taste of someone else.
>>
>>8954483
Anthologies are good for finding what kind of poets you like before getting into them. They are also good for having the offshoot poem you like from a poet you don't typically like.
>>
Joe Bolton
Donald Justice
Frank O'Hara
Charles Oswald
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.