[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Attention /lit/izens How would a fellow go about writing a work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

File: JimmyBoy!.jpg (68KB, 447x599px) Image search: [Google]
JimmyBoy!.jpg
68KB, 447x599px
Attention /lit/izens

How would a fellow go about writing a work so monumental in importance that it would be considered a modern day Ulysses?

Just asking for a friend like...
>>
trying to figure that out for myself m80
>>
>>8948203
Same as Ulysses but instead of a day it's a year lmao

Instant canonisation
>>
>>8948203
>>8948486

Yall wanna help me edit my diary, desu?
>>
>>8948203
lmao
brah

brah
get real now
c'mon
sheesh
>>
>>8948203

Write something as great as War and Peace, but situated during the oncoming previous years and throughout the course of the War. Use all the great leaders as characters and document all the great events. Do not forget to emphasize the lives of normal people during the islands of peace and oasis of bliss in the midst of the storm.

Do your best to enter inside the brain of Hitler, Stalin, Churchil, Roosevelt, Patton, Rommel, Goebles, etc. Think like them, taste the food like them, look upon people like them, feel their deseases in your own body, try to understand their prejudices, wonder what they thought in their nights of insomnia. Be completely unbiased: nothing of "this character will be the villain" and "this character will be the good guy", or "I must make this person be more obnoxious" and "I must make this american general more palatable".

Create large chapter sessions inside a concentration camp. Make it a kind of King Lear. A great and powerful Jewish industrialist is reduced only to the role of human being, poor, naked, and bifurcated, lost in the muddy, icy and snowy plains of Auschiwtz. The daughters whose destiny he wanted to tyrannically control will now be killed in front of his nose. His only friends will be some poor and naked lunatics he fiends inside the communal shacks.

Do not forget to report the rape of Nanquin and the explosion of nuclear bombs. Also: the Holodomor.

Anyway, if you do it with the same sense of humanity as a Tolstoy (when he was not willing to preach) and a Checkhov (the master of detachment and the mere observation of mankind) you may end up becoming one of the greatest novelists of all Times.

Once again, do not forget the daily life: people going to the theater and to the movies, the parties, ice cream in the squares, riding the streetcars, bathing in the sea, making love, reading books, discussing ideas. Even when the world is falling apart there are still people standing on the quiet part of the rags, not on the edges that are tearing up, not in the canyons, not in the encounters and mismatches of the tectonic plates.
>>
>>8951101
woah
>>
>>8948203
Write a YA novel that subverts the genre and is about the human condition as it relates to the naive mind of a young person.... or something.
>>
I'm currently thinking of a way to make my experiences on internet forums sound literary and philosophical but it's not going too well
>>
>>8948203

bump
>>
>>8948536
>a year
>not a moment

A 500+ page book about a moment: the neurological processes,the conscious recollections, the unconscious connections, the deterministic origins, the metaphysical influences. Horrible but It'd be an instant meme.
>>
>>8951353
Sounds like the alien books in Slaughterhouse Five
>>
>>8951361
I always liked how they perceived time as a singularity, and that gave them an extreme fatalism.
Really trippy concept.
>>
>>8951101
I am tempted tempted to steal this and use it as a pitch to a historical publisher. It is really compelling.
>>
>>8951381

I suggested to him what is actually one of my future plans, but I would like to do so through a series of plays, a great cycle of dramas, like Shakespeare's historical plays.

But I'm still starting my career and I certainly am not going to try to write anything like that in the next 10 or 15 years. Besides, I do not know if I'll have enough talent, energy and health for that, and it's likely that the format of the novel is much better for such material (and I do not have much aptitude for writing novels).

I thought about making several pplays, such as:

Adolf Hitler part 1
Adolf Hitler part 2
Adolf Hitler part 3

A play about Patton and Rommel and the fight in the deserts

A play about Churchil and the British efforts

The Jewish King Lear (a play about the fall of a family and concentration camps)

A play about the battles in Stalingrad.

A play about the Holodomor (and the real inner life of Stálin)

A play about the Japanese presence in the war, such as Nanjing and the bombs.

For the Bombs I thought of using material of the great manga Barefoot Gen

The plays would complement each other. Some characters would reappear in several of them (like the Human Comedy of Balzac)

It would be a project that I would have to sustain for several years. In between those plays I would work on other tragedies and comedies that would have nothing to do with the general theme of World War II (to refresh the mind from time to time).

But feel free to try to use the material. There are probably much more worty and talented people out there who would really dignify this sketchy idea.
>>
just rewrite something like the Iliad or the odyssey but set it in a black ghetto today, instant money and fame
>>
>>8951353
No, it has to be an instant inside of a dream so thought and time can be entirely irrelevant and everything occurs in the cascade of the instant.
>>
>>8951466
Ghetto Iliad sounds immensely marketable on title alone.
>>
>>8951481
What, you mean like Finnegans Wake?
>>
>>8951453
But why plays, though?
It would lend itself to the encyclopediac mega-novel quite readlly
>Or a series of screenplays
>>
>>8951526

Because I love to write with a very poetic diction, a metaphorical texture as dense as the one that Shakespeare used (combined, of course, with several moments of crude realism and direct and straightforward daily-life language), and drama seems to be the perfect place to use such style of writing.

Also, altough theater is not very popular today I like to see the creations of my mind live in the stage, even if only few people are there to see.

But I am just starting my carrear.

There is also the fact that I am not very good with the format of the novel. I guess that other people would do a better job than myself with the same theme in the novel format.
>>
>>8948203
Inspire someone to kill someone
>>
>>8951381
Fuck you, not even him, but donut steel.

In my entire life, I've literally only ever seen stupid people plagiarize because they just weren't creative and intelligent enough to come up with their own shit. The fact that you even said that makes me immediately think of my incredibly stupid and vain associate from Highschool who'd always try to win rap battles with stolen verses from lesser known artists, and win cook-offs with Buzzfeed recipes you can find off Facebook.

Fuck me, the recipe was the EXACT same shit too; I even called him out on it, but he just said he's never heard of Buzzfeed Tasty before, which is absolute bullshit because he always tags his sister in them saying shit like "You need to teach me how to make this".

Fuck you, and fuck plagiarists.
>>
>>8951651
I wouldn't worry, something about his post tells me that he doesn't have the aptitude to write something like that..
>>
>>8951651
Why are you so angry dude? The guy who posted it didn't have a problem with it.
You're under 18, right?
>>
>>8951651
projection much.

Pretty much everything these days has been provided and researched by other people for writers and content creators. If you put something out there in the public domain then you're just asking to have your ideas taken.
>>
>>8951651
>associate from Highschool
Ah yes. That explains it.
>>
>>8951669
>>8951701
"FROM" Highschool, not "IN" Highschool, you bunch of dumb faggots.
>>
>>8948203
Joyce kinda ruined those projects for everyone, sorry. If you tried to do such a thing, you'd probably end up being labeled an inferior Joyce, or something.

If the answer were so simple, we would all have written such a book ourselves. You just have to make a totally original work, which departs so drastically from everything your contemporaries and forebears have done that the world can't help but acknowledge its relevance.

Anyone who's read a book like Ulysses or Moby-Dick can tell you the experience is almost religious -- a visceral epiphany brought on by a novelty of so striking a character it can't help but bury itself deep inside your gut. Aim for that.
>>
>>8951712
>"FROM" Highschool, not "IN" Highschool, you bunch of dumb faggots.
Yes, I granted you enough self-awareness to alter your post so as to keep from being banned.

I can't imagine how a post on an anonymous image board that wasn't even threatening to plagiarize my content could cause me to rage about some little rap battle my friends had, unless the events in question were ongoing or happened very recently.
>>
>>8951740
>Implying
>Because friends from Highschool don't also hang out during college ALL THE FUCKING TIME

I'm going to lay this all out for you, because you're a dumb fuck with the IQ of a rock.

>"Friend" from Highschool exists
>Don't interact with him much in Highschool, but know him as a bit of a pretentious idiot
>Graduate
>His circle of friends overlap with my circle of friends, so now we see each other quite often
>Finally realize how much of a tool he is
>Freestyle rapping for fun while driving to movies
>We're all horrible except for "friend"
>We're all laughing at how bad we are
>Friend keeps busting out these perfectly timed lyrics, which really shouldn't be possible unless he's been rapping for years
>Finally, during another one of his verses, realize that he's copying from a kinda-sorta unknown rapper from Youtube
>While everyone's amazed by his "skill", me and another guy who caught on to him just stays silent during the rest of the car ride, because we don't want to confront him about it
>Later, on Facebook, "friend" organizes a BBQ at his place
>While group messaging to plan the ordeal, find the Buzzfeed Tasty video he shared with his sister
>Think it's pretty neat and save the video so I could try it myself
>Think nothing of it and show up to BBQ a day or two later
>He's cooking the exact same shit he shared with his sister
>Trying to steal the credit for it by saying shit like "Dude, it just came to me while I was in the kitchen, hope you guys like it"
>Try to call him out on it by saying "Haha, as long as you stuck with the recipe, it should turn out perfect"
>He kind of stutters and goes "Oh, what? I didn't use a recipe, I just experiment with what I had in the kitchen and thought of this myself"
>Lying fucking prick

And yes, you, specifically (YOU), remind me of that one shitty "friend" who always plagiarizes others because he's so stupid he can't think of good shit for himself. That is who you are to me.
>>
>>8951916
>first post is about friend from high school
>no wait it was actually wasn't from high school
Why would you initially refer to him has a friend from high school, rather than just a friend. You wouldn't. Like, suppose you and me have actually seen each other before, say at the grocery store, and say I wanted to write an exposé about autism on 4chan. I wouldn't refer to you as "some random person I saw at the grocery store, which event has absolutely no relevance to what I'm saying". Rather I'd refer to you as "some underage poster I interacted with once".

Oh, and you could've spared me the greentext. The details don't justify the disproportionate amount of rage you've unloaded here.
>>
>>8948203
Be honest /lit/

Is there anyone here who isn't trying to write a 21st century Ulysses, except it's based on the Aeneid/Divine Comedy/Paradise Lost/King Lear/War and Peace/Ovid and so on and so on?
>>
>>8951978
People say that shit all the fucking time.

>"This kid I knew from Highschool"
>"This guy I went to Highschool with"
>"Remember Blahblahblah from Highschool?"

If a 40 year old man said something like "Oh, wow, it's Kevin, from Highschool", he's obviously not some underaged faggot, you fucking faggot. You're honestly retarded if you think I'm underaged just for saying I hang out with a guy I knew from Highschool. I graduated 2 years ago and we're both 20, which is absolutely reasonable and possible. The fact that me possibly (hopefully) being underaged is your only rebuttal against plagiarism strikes me as a very large, very colorful red flag.

And only plagiarists think plagiarism isn't such a big deal. Learn to think of something yourself for once, you dumbass.
>>
>>8951466
so the Warriors except a book not a film
>>
smoke heroin
>>
>>8951916

Even if you stole the dudes idea it couldn't count as plagiarism. It wouldn't be comparable to following a recipe or copying some rap from YouTube, it'd be more like reading that bread has yeast flour and water and then making a baguette.
>>
>>8952054
>You're honestly retarded if you think I'm underaged just for saying I hang out with a guy I knew from Highschool.
Did you even read my post? Quit trying to cover yourself. You're either underage or semantically retarded since you can't see that the phrase "my friend from high school" implies that you became friends in high school.

Moreover, there are entire worlds of meaning in between "hanging out with a person I knew in high school" and what you originally said "my incredibly stupid and vain associate from Highschool", but I don't expect you to work out the difference on your own, so you may ignore this part of my post.
>rebuttal against plagiarism
Wow, you're still sperging about plagiarism. I can't imagine what it must be like to be you, with your not-yet-totally-developed brain going through this entire conversation thinking what we were talking about had anything to do with plagiarism. Like, you actually thought that we were having a debate about plagiarism.
>And only plagiarists think plagiarism isn't such a big deal
I guess the guy who wrote the post detailing his idea must be a plagiarist.
>>
>>8951978
You are really retarded.
>>
>>8951651
>Implying most literature isn't stolen

C'mon friend
>>
>>8951916
Is this what modernism, post modernism, or post post modernism is? in terms of being in the world?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.