[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone actually read on here? Even the most serious of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: images-112.jpg (7KB, 186x271px) Image search: [Google]
images-112.jpg
7KB, 186x271px
Does anyone actually read on here?

Even the most serious of discussions are all surface level insights with no individual opinion.
>>
Post your deepest insight from the latest book you've "read".
>>
sure
>>
>>8948011
No you are the only one you self-obsessed faggot.
>>
>>8948013
I found "Ulysses" by James Augustine Aloysius Joyce shallow and pedantic.
>>
4chan is something to graduate from. It's like wading in the kiddie pool.
>>
>>8948011
no mate thats what goodreads and my blog are for
>>
I hate having to form a definite opinion on anything. I might think a book is shitty one day and realize it's great the next, or vise versa. The only halfway solid opinion I can form is on the writing and even then it's difficult to explain what was good or bad about it. Sorry OP for being too wish washy to actually contribute.
>>
>>8948028
Yes, shallow and pedantic. Indeed.
>>
people here read but despite the board name they aren't experts in prompting meaningful discussion or elevating the level of discourse. for a good example, look in the mirror.
>>
>>8948110
Come to think of it the thai food I just ate was rather shallow and pedantic.
>>
>>8948053
babby's first impermanence
>>
>>8948053
This is me desu. It's why I never write reviews on goodreads. I just rate books and sometimes I go back and change my rating for a book if I've changed my mind about it.
>>
Of course I read. In fact, I have nearly 1000 books and write essays on each one.

But I shitpost instead and call people plebs. Why? Because I don't want to share my knowledge, for fear that it may one day be published under a name that isn't mine. Also, I don't wish to spoonfeed plebs who don't realize all their questions are answerable from a Wikipedia link.

That's amore.
>>
what's the best way to cut thru the trees to get into the inner essence or original thoughts or impulses the author was intending me to come out of the book with? any idea?
>>
>>8948120
That's always how my brain has worked, are you saying I'm a perma-babby?
>>
>>8948110
LOL
>>8948116
LOL

THAT'S MY FAVORITE SHOW :DDD DON'T TELL DAD, HE'D FREAK :DDD
>>
>>8948149
autism
>>
>>8948143
maple tap
>>
File: spin_prod_863973912.jpg (180KB, 1900x1900px) Image search: [Google]
spin_prod_863973912.jpg
180KB, 1900x1900px
>>8948371
Sure, mate
>>
We read, we just come from a generation with no idea how to read.
>>
>>8948011
did i actually read the holy bible twice. ya it took me 400 hours did you
>>
>>8948011
you just have a surface level perception of the content on /lit/. it's not your fault you have the analytical skills of a pleb.
>>
>>8948047
>4chan is something to graduate from.
Where do you graduate to?
>>
>>8949213
I hope you have a VPN handy
>>
>>8949444
Why?
>>
>>8948011
Give me an example of one of your deep analyses of any text.
>>
I read, but the problem is that I can hardly remember anything. My memory is completely shot due to nearly two decades of poor decisions and, and uh.. other reasons. What little
I do remember is nearly impossible to form into a coherent thought. People might call it being permafried. I do not.

I am sorry for my own failings, the failings of this board, and the world in general. I am being serious btw..
>>
>>8949579
Yes, we get it, you did drugs.

>People might call it being permafried. I do not.
What do you call it?
>>
File: 1459520899394.jpg (69KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1459520899394.jpg
69KB, 400x400px
>>8948011
post your deepest insights /lit/

>sex is an attempt by men to re-enter the safety of the womb.
>and by women to capture the power of holding life within them.
>>
>>8948149
Great counter-arguments.
>>
>>8949584
If no one is around, I just call it being stupid.
>>
>>8949608
Smart comment.
>>
>>8949620
Which smart? I'll take it as a compliment for now.
>>
I read a lot but I'm too dumb for deep insight
>>
>>8949758
The good kind, boss. Smart question.
>>
>>8949788
Thanks anon
>>
>>8949588
Whoa...really made me think.
>>
This place doesn't exactly lend itself to thorough analysis.
>>
I read but I don't think critically about anything. I probably don't even remember what happens in any given book.
>>
ITT mad plebs in denial
>>
>>8950148
whats the point then. escapism?
>>
>>8948011
I read books, but I don't seriously discuss them. To me they're mostly just good stories/pretty writing tbph
>>
>>8948011
Yeah honestly I'm even skeptical of discussions about which I do not know much. It may seem insightful to the uninitiated but every other discussion barely scrapes by as undergraduate-tier.

I don't think people are interested in long-form discussion. This is a site for memes, including meme opinions. It's a shame that /lit/ is one of the better boards too.

When it's fun here, it's fun. Most of the time it's pretty tedious.
>>
>>8950280
There's not much to discuss about books beyond how people discuss TV or film. There's no real merit to lit crit unless you're willing to apply certain theories, with which many here are either unfamiliar or outright hostile (due to unfamiliarity).
>>
>>8950286
Yeah, that's broadly how I feel. English Literature was my best subject at school- I was really good at identifying metaphors, discussing themes, characters etc. But I didn't go on to do it at university because I never understood -why- we did those things. It felt like an essentially pointless game.
>>
File: 1458387475904.png (91KB, 211x162px) Image search: [Google]
1458387475904.png
91KB, 211x162px
>>8950286

>with which many here are either unfamiliar or outright hostile (due to unfamiliarity).

This is what he actually believes
>>
>>8948011
I do read but I don't spend much time over my posts here. It seems wasteful to do so when the next post after it is likely to be a picture of a cartoon frog.
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 225x224px
>>
File: frog.jpg (24KB, 564x471px) Image search: [Google]
frog.jpg
24KB, 564x471px
>>
>>8948011
Reading is for cucks and degenerates. Take the redpill my friend
>>
>>8950709
haha yeah man, trump for president luluuul -frogpost-
>>
>>8948011
I don't read a lot, but the stuff i read i really think about. I'm reading crime and punishment now, i will make a thread when i'm finished.

Just read the fall from Camus, really liked it a lot.
>>
>>8950676
Yes.
>>
>>8948140
nobody believes you
>>
>>8948011
>Even the most serious of discussions are all surface level insights with no individual opinion.

This is true.

It's also true that this is the board with the smartest population on average.
>>
Reading some Bloom, god damn this guy has consumed more books than the fire at Alexandria. What I wouldn't give for his ability for quick reading and comprehension
>>
>>8950755
what do you base that on? /his/ seems like it has quite a few really intelligent people. A lot of them are of course retarded /pol/ crossposters, but the smarter individuals on /his/ seem more well-read than the smarter ones here on /lit/
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.