[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's your favorite Lovecraft story? My favorite is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: hp-lovecraft.jpg (155KB, 1012x1527px) Image search: [Google]
hp-lovecraft.jpg
155KB, 1012x1527px
So what's your favorite Lovecraft story?

My favorite is the one where a young, white male in New England stumbles upon a horrible, yet indescribable secret and almost dies, but manages to escape and remains haunted by it for the rest of his day.

But for real, Rats In the Walls is the best one. Polaris and the Doom that Came to Sarnath are honorable mentions for stories without a protag.
>>
>>8944414
Lovecraft sucks, faggot. Fuck off.
>>
>>8944414
Hmm... I don't remember that one.
>>
Mine is the one where the spooky monsters are metaphors for biggers
>>
>>8944418
Fuck you, unpublished faggot.
>>
>>8944437

Fucking pleb, we all know that the superior racist boogeyman is the yellow people from the arctic who want to flood western civilisation.
>>
>>8944456
>unpublished
>implying
>>
>>8944418
Why are you posting?
>>
How did Lovecraft discover the Cthulhu "mythos"?
>>
The Rats in the Walls
>>
The Outsider
>>
At the mountains of madness
>>
>>8944414
The Outsider stands out imo.
>>
The Colour Out of Space
>>
>>8946409
This one.
>>
"Nyarlathotep" has to be my favorite short story, the imagery of an approaching calamity and the city going mad is Lovecraft at his finest.
"The Dreams in the Witch House", I read this at midnight last night and was the first H.P. story to give me some spooks, the surreal environment of the dreams along with the "everything is going to shit" setting on May-Eve which is, as stated above, Lovecraft at his finest.
"The Colour Out of Space", if this isn't the most alien and unique story Lovecraft has wrote I don't know what is; H.P. stated himself that this is his most favorite short story he has ever wrote.
>>
I need to read his stuff again. I've been reading many of the authors that influenced Lovecraft and it's interesting how much of a leap in bizarreness horror literature took when Lovecraft came on the scene. Writers like James, Poe, Machen, Blackwood, Bierce, etc wrote some very strange stories, and you can see how the separate elements of their stories were combined by Lovecraft, but on their own they never achieved the kind of cold, nightmarish vision of reality that Lovecraft exhibits in a tale like At the Mountains of Madness. There could certainly be someone major I'm missing, but it seems like Lovecraft was seriously ahead of his time.
>>
>>8946606
This
>>
Dunwich Horror.
Best of his that I had the luck of reading.
>>
File: lovecraft3.jpg (92KB, 404x507px) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft3.jpg
92KB, 404x507px
>>8944414
The one where he uses lots and lots of adjectives
>>
>>8946569
>The Colour Out of Space

Fugg, that was some creepy shit.
>>
>>8945583
He didn't discover it. You make it sound like it always existed. Anyway he never intended to make a structured mythos, he just kept making the similar story, as the OP cheekily points out.

For me the Innsmouth story is the best. Just a comfy read in general.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.