[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any point to even reading great literature if you live

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: americansuburb.jpg (386KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
americansuburb.jpg
386KB, 1200x800px
Is there any point to even reading great literature if you live in an ugly American suburb?
>>
>>8943749
escapism?
>>
Have a barbecue pool party and try not to think about it.
>>
>>8943749
You move to the suburbs for your wife and kids and you secretly hate it there but it's better for their education and it's easier than fighting with your wife about moving.

Just give yourself your own study/office/library to escape to.
>>
>>8943749
escape through immersion, educating yourself so you're prepared for school, improving your reading comprehension so you can study better so you can get paid and can escape. Really it makes a lot more sense to read than not to if you live in a suburb.
>>
>>8943749
kys, fag. cities aren't even /lit/
>>
>>8943749
i live on 3rd world nigger
i read because its the only place i can find interesting, smart people
>>
Being surrounded by shit is what drives people to create beauty in the first place. That's why so many great writers came out of Dublin.

To quote Wallace Stevens:

It is the celestial ennui of apartments
That sends us back to the first idea, the quick
Of this invention; and yet so poisonous

Are the ravishments of truth, so fatal to
The truth itself, the first idea becomes
The hermit in a poet’s metaphors,

Who comes and goes and comes and goes all day.
May there be an ennui of the first idea?
What else, prodigious scholar, should there be?
>>
>>8944669

Horseshit, the Irish are great writers because tho they speak it, they aren't English, thus, they never get tiedto any silly notion like the 'Literary Tradition'
>>
>>8944707
I'll agree its partially this, but when you look at Beckett and Joyce's Dubliners, with its losers and beggars, you can't help but feel that Ireland has to be some kind of dreck.
>>
You should read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winesburg,_Ohio
>>
>>8943749

It looks idyllic and peaceful to me. I like how anonymous all the houses are, how you could just disappear in there if you wanted to.
>>
File: cute_geek_girl_glasses.jpg (128KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
cute_geek_girl_glasses.jpg
128KB, 467x700px
>>8944663
>poor grammar
>no capitals
>awkward allocation of spaces
>3rd world
>finding 'smart people' in books

You're indian, aren't you shitskin?
>>
I dont get it. there is a disjunction in your question.
Why would living in an ugly american suburb render the reading of great literature pointless?
>>
>>8943749
Ugh. Buy land, move into the country.
>>
>>8945169
Moron
>>
>>8945120
You have to drive 30-60 minutes just to get anywhere worth being. It's not peace. It's like a cage.
>>
>>8945502

I've lived in the suburbs my whole life. I haven't lived in one like the OP pic for a long time, the one I live in now is an old town that was absorbed by the neighboring city. The houses are old, and nearby are farms. I don't know, I don't like the city, it's too loud, there's too many people and too much artificial light. It's never really day, and it's never really night, there's no grass, just concrete everywhere covered in cigarette butts. I feel hemmed in and trapped, there's nowhere for me to park or pull a u-ey. The streets are needle thin, thronged with unruly pedestrians and homeless people. I don't like being asked for money every five yards, I don't like seeing prostitutes and the mentally ill. I'm sick of seeing the police bundling someone into a squad car, I wish people would behave properly like they do at home.

I'm not very Bohemian or literary, even though young people are supposed to like being "urban" and experiencing "diversity." Henry Miller is a fun read but his life sounds like pure hell to me. I'm happiest driving alone on the highway in my wastefully large truck. To me that's peace, the hum of the tires on the road, the diesely gurgle of the engine, the sun on my face. I hope I die on the highway.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.