[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are these two pleb-tier or are they the best Russian translators

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Are these two pleb-tier or are they the best Russian translators we have? I'm halfway through their version of Anna Kerenina and I really enjoy how fluid the diction feels. But I was wondering if there were any better translators for when I move on to Brothers Karamazov or W&P.
>>
>>8943410
they dont butcher tolstoy that badly but read mcduff or avsey for dostoevsky or the revised garnett (mcreynolds)
>>
File: tumblr_o70ypiewnN1qgalzuo1_400.jpg (61KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o70ypiewnN1qgalzuo1_400.jpg
61KB, 338x600px
>>8943410
Their Dostoyevsky doesn't hold a candle to other translations, but I hear their C&P is ok.
Their Master and Margarita is atrocious.
Their Tolstoy is readable
>>
>>8943424
Which Dostoyevsky versions did you read, anon? What exactly do you feel they're missing that other translations have?
>>
>>8943424
Also, did they translate the Penguin Classics version of MaM? I haven't read it but that's the one I own.
>>
>>8943451
>C&P
I read Monas and plan to reread it in Coulson's, which is supposedly the best.
highly recommended(I hear McDuff did an uncharacteristically weak job with C&P)
>The Idiot
Avsey. Highly recommended, unparalleled prose flow and communication of the message, however it is heavily British. Like British as fuck. Will read Carlisle next.
>Notes
I read P&V, it was fine. Some anon later posted passages from Coulson's Notes from Underground and it was notably better. I plan on rereading it in her translation.

Haven't read Bros K yet, but I'm going to read MacAndew's, then later the revised Garnett. Maybe Avsey's too.

The thing I don't like about P&V is they're so literal you may as well be using a Russian to English dictionary. They take no account of the fact that they are translating a message with meaning and intention into a language with cultural context. They just flip the words and its notably more stilted.
>>
>>8943511
That helps a lot, thanks man!
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.