[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I figure there are two kinds of literature. One, that's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

I figure there are two kinds of literature.

One, that's highly tied with historic events, very descriptive about places and about times. The other, more abstract, less about emotions and more about ideas.

Examples of this latter type of literature are Borges (The Garden of Forking Paths, The Aleph, The Book of Sand, etc.), everything by Kafka. Blindness by Saramago, The Stranger by Camus are also examples of this: they are playing out an idea. While they have a plot and a context, it's less about that than it is about the idea.

Tolstoy, for example, is a good example of this because he has War and Peace, the quintessential example of the first of these two literatures, and How Much Land Does a Man Need?, a short story that exemplifies the latter.

What of the two do you prefer? What do you look for in each of them?
>>
>>8942888
What a dumb question. Stupid premise.
>>
No, there is "cerebral literature" (best example is The Man without Qualities) and "emotional literature (something like Ulysses). I prefer the latter.
>>
>>8942888
What books contain both?
>>
>>8942898
Fuck off

>>8942904
Yep this is basically what I meant.

I'll read The Man without Qualities, thanks anon. Supposedly it's a "philosophical novel". Perhaps that's the name people use for the distinction I just made up.

>>8942916
Most books contain both, I'd say. Dostoyevski creates a good depiction of the late XX century Russia, and people's strugles while giving insights of human nature and "existentialism."

It's not really about how much they contain, but the intention of the author. Kafka most of the times seemed to purposely create a lack of context for his stories, or make them dreamy-like (think of In the Penal Colony, none of the characters have real depth, they are basically nowhere, it's the idea of justice what he focuses on.)
>>
File: XYndFzm.jpg (867KB, 4198x1798px) Image search: [Google]
XYndFzm.jpg
867KB, 4198x1798px
If you think Borges and Kafka aren't highly tied to their historical and socio-political situations you need to git gud. This isn't to say that you haven't noticed something real, but the very ideas that make up those stories are socially determined. Would the Metamorphoses make sense to an uncontacted Amazon tribe with completely different religious ideas, family structures or productive relationships? Could Tlön be conceived in a society which hadn't widely theorized about language and its relationship to perception?

Think again.
>>
Your division is very arbitrary, inorganic and disregards older literature.
>>
>>8943385
Was a gayer picture ever painted?
>>
>>8943531
Tom of Finland
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.