[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any book that is specialized on shittiong out fast and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

File: 1372579076250.jpg (704KB, 1612x2072px) Image search: [Google]
1372579076250.jpg
704KB, 1612x2072px
Is there any book that is specialized on shittiong out fast and short stories?

The books about books guide is pretty alright but I can't find something specifically about on-the-spot making of stories.

HALPKTNX
>>
>>8941335
it helps not to be a faggot
>>
>>8941335
>>8941339
bretty pls
>>
File: 1475261883568.png (44KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
1475261883568.png
44KB, 658x662px
>>8941335
>>8942082
pleaswe...
>>
>>8941335
Check out Modern Library's Writer's Workshop. Also, you will never read a book on screenwriting, novel writing, play writing... basically writing for entertainment or the arts, that doesn't reference Aristotle's Poetics. I'm not memeing some "back2greeks" but I'm a professional writer and editor and one of the most repeated pieces of advice for "fiction writing" etc. is to read Poetics. It's practically still an industry handbook, even in Hollywood.
>>
>>8942848
I was going to add* anyways so without Poetics in there, it's clear that whoever made this chart does not write as a career, or hasn't read these books. I have a list that I've been compiling because now I'm about to teach English and fiction writing abroad. Maybe I'll make a chart later. Sorry /lit/ whoever made this shitty chart.
>>
File: images.jpg (41KB, 500x753px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
41KB, 500x753px
>>8941335
On-the-spot? Thou must master the art of bullshitting. I can't really think of a book to help you with that. I'd, I dunno, set a timer and challenge yourself to nightly short-story speed writing, or something. Trial by fire.

Here's a question though, are any of the books in the OP good (besides Elements of Style, obviously)? I've read Bird by Bird and On Writing, and while they're ok memoirs, they don't have much practical advice.

pic related was pretty good for editing, desu
>>
>>8941335
I find it funny how it's impossible to imagine, say, Shakespeare or Homer writing a whole book about how to write literature, and how a lot of the books on how to write a book are not made by talented writers. David Morrell? Stephen King? The subtitle to any books by them on how to write a book should be "and have the book be as shitty and formulaic as ours, which you probably deserve if you're looking for someone else to give you a formula to write a work of literature". A bit clunky, sure, but honest.
>>
>>8942873
The list is dreadful. I don't know who made this chart. I have heard good things about Lamott, and though I hate Stephen King's writing, many people in the trade claim On Writing is excellent for plotting and characterization. I actually plan on reading it, even though I've never finished one of his novels.

The inclusion of an encyclopedia and a dictionary just shows how fucking lazy whoever made it is, and unknowledgeable on writing references. Check out my >>8942848 post. Poetics is read industry-wide. I read Modern Library's Workshop a few days ago and found it *ok*
>>
me just want to make short stories.
No novels, just Little self contained stuff that can be made fast.
Like that guy with the old writting machine in a park that everyone thaught was a hipster
>>
u giv more information, or else...
*unlashes katana*
i'll kill this knife
>>
>>8942894
Groovy. I'll check out Poetics.

On Writing seemed directed at fans of Steven King. I haven't read any of his stuff, but I've seen plenty of lackluster movie adaptions. I enjoyed it well enough but it isn't the type of thing I'd read twice.
>>
Anybody read John Gardner's book on writing? I love his style and want to pick up some tips.
>>
anyone got a link to the modren library workshop one?
>>
I'm >>8942848 >>8942852 >>8942894 btw-- I really want to make a writing reference chart now looking at this.

>>8943201
That's why I've been hesitant. And everyone from Aristotle to the Modern Library book that I mentioned seems to tackle the "strong suits" that Stephen King has already, and, I've read a handful of screenwriting books that have taught me to plot and create characters as well. I suppose it may be worth it to some degree, as, despite what /lit/ thinks, this is one of the hardest parts of actually writing a novel (conflict, plot, story, & characterization) but I can find useful information on that anywhere. I think one day I will read On Writing (King) though, it's just a matter of when. If I do this year I'll get back to /lit/ on it. And I don't really have a ton of resources for novel writing, to be honest, other than Strunk and White's Elements of Style and maybe 3 other books I'd have to think about.

>>8943216
I've never read it but I know people who have, and I've heard more good things about that particular book than, say, Bird by Bird. If you like his stuff I'd definitely check it out, from what I hear it's worth it.
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 337x436px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 337x436px
OP here
So what you people are saying is that there is no literati equivalent of quick sketching? Something like "techniques to make up shit fast?"

Something like
"Fast short drafts that can count as a story" or something in the same fashion?
>>
File: 577d2b9c6faa2.jpg (101KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
577d2b9c6faa2.jpg
101KB, 640x640px
>>8943041
>>
File: SksEsr.png (11KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
SksEsr.png
11KB, 657x527px
>>8942809
brease
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.