[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you explain and argue, to a man who only plays videogames

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: angry-005.jpg (1MB, 2636x2636px) Image search: [Google]
angry-005.jpg
1MB, 2636x2636px
How would you explain and argue, to a man who only plays videogames and studies natural sciences, that art, philosophy and especially literature are important and worth his time?
>>
>>8936844
Why would you want to enlighten a manchild?
>>
>>8936931
>"lel those fucking geeks who code with their stupid computers all day, I'm glad that I'm way above them"
>proceeds to browse on 4chan for the rest of the day
>>
>>8936931
>>8936969
The verb enlighten is a bit too intense. But because I have no need to feel superior, I just want to share interesting stuff with people who are unaware of its existence/worth.
>>
>>8936977
I think the important thing is to convey to them the idea that is first and foremost about having fun. You shouldn't expect them to read literary fiction if they don't get any enjoyment out of it.

Take my brother for examples. He's computer science undergrad. I tried to get him to read Dosto's C&P, but he gave up after a while saying that it was too difficult for him. However, he experimented a bit with science fiction and once he got into Arthur C. Clarke's Odyssey series, he was hooked. He finished the trilogy and now he confided to me that he wants to tackle The Brothers K.

It doesn't matter so much what you read but that you read at all.
>>
>>8936844
Begin with classic adventure stories. Ask him to think. Then introduce him to Shakespeare. Take him to see Titus Andronicus and Taming of the Shrew and Macbeth and Hamlet. Watching them first, or high quality film adaptations should dip his toe into the genre.
Alternatively, slaughterhouse v, clockwork Orange, Dante's inferno. Videogameish books. That's not to say they're bad, though.
>>
>>8937021
What are some videogamish books?
>>
How would argue anything is worth anyones time or that time is worth anything
>>
>>8937040
This.

OP sounds awfully spooky
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.