[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any contemporary authors who provide the critique of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Amusing_Ourselves_to_Death[1].jpg (95KB, 466x750px) Image search: [Google]
Amusing_Ourselves_to_Death[1].jpg
95KB, 466x750px
Are there any contemporary authors who provide the critique of new media (the Internet, smartphones etc.) by following the tradition of McLuhan and Postam? Pic related is red-pilled af.

>Television is the command center in subtler ways as well. Our use of other media, for example, is largely orchestrated by television. Through it we learn what telephone system to use, what movies to see, what books, records and magazines to buy, what radio programmes to listen to. Television arranges our communications environment for us in ways that no other medium has the power to do.

>Television has achieved the status of "meta-medium"–an instrument that directs not only our knowledge of the world, but our knowledge of ways of knowing as well.

Basically, replace 'television' with '4chan' and now you get the definition of my media habits.
>>
McLuhan and Postman wrote a lot of bullshit but are invaluable in that they teach you to start thinking critically about media itself rather than just what media says.

I haven't come across the new generation of media studies writers who would address things like the internet and smart phones, but I'm sure they must be out there.
>>
>>8936760
I don't know about anything modern but if you like McLuhan you can go back and read Harold Innis's work. McLuhan said:
>I am pleased to think of my own book The Gutenberg Galaxy as a footnote to the observations of Innis on the subject of the psychic and social consequences, first of writing then of printing.

Innis's Empire and Communications is here:
https://www.gutenberg.ca/ebooks/innis-empire/innis-empire-00-h.html
>>
>redpilled

Back to your containment board. Read Baudrillard though.
>>
Walter Ong might help. Baudrillard is good too.

>>8936951
Kill yourself, Reddit.
>>
20th C panic over television seems really fucking retarded in retrospect.
>>
A bit dated, but Julian Dibbell's A Rape in Cyberspace is a seminal essay on the early web. Dibbell was quite prescient in noting that online interaction may inspire a reorientation of, or even a challenge to, our understanding of free speech, which we're currently seeing with the 'SJW' types. It even features a proto-4chan type character

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/a-rape-in-cyberspace-6401665

He's written some other stuff which may or may be of interest but I haven't read any of it.
>>
>>8936973
>implying society wasn't already ruined in exactly the ways they predicted and we aren't just used to living in hell
>>
>>8936760

You Are Not a Gadget
>>
>>8936760

In descending order of relevance:

Jay David Bolter & Richard Grusin, "Remediation: Understanding New Media"

N. Katherine Hayles, "How We Became Posthuman"

Richard E. Miller, "Writing at the End of the World"
>>
>>8938111
oh yeah smart guy? then what am i?
>>
Slavoj Zizek and Alain de Botton.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.