[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What percentage of people who say they love Lovecraft have ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 2017-01-05-21-42-37--693377151.jpg (18KB, 182x277px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-05-21-42-37--693377151.jpg
18KB, 182x277px
What percentage of people who say they love Lovecraft have ever read Lovecraft?

On /tv/ there was a lot of whining abt True Detective Season 1, because the end suggests that everything had a natural explanation, and Rust's vision was a hallucenation. However, and I may be wrong because I have not read any Lovecraft in 13 years, I remember a lot of his stuff having the possibility that the supernatural elements were a combination of natural events and the character's mental instability.

Do people think Lovecraft stories all end with a giant monster appearing and eating people? Why do hipsters pretend to like shit that they've never read?
>>
>>8934840

Wait people actually thought that the hallucinations he was having were real? Did they miss the part where he was high on every single type of drug for four years straight?
>>
>>8934840
>Why do hipsters pretend to like shit that they've never read?

Because some people love to put on a front of being well read when in reality they haven't touched a book since high school. You see it all the time even on here when people just buy books to fill their shelves to show off to people when in reality a lot of them have never been opened.
>>
People are soooooo stupid, lol.
>>
>>8934840

He's just a trendy "nerd icon" in the Wharholian sense.
>>
>>8934840
I have no clue what you're arguing here OP. What exactly happens in True Detective season 1?

> I remember a lot of his stuff having the possibility that the supernatural elements were a combination of natural events and the character's mental instability.

Yeah, supernatural events are events that are beyond scientific explanation. Lovecraft covered the limited knowledge of man in his stories all the time.
>>
>>8934866
Why are you on a luterature board with this kind of reading comprehension?
>>
>>8934896

What did I misread?
>>
True Detective was written by a guy who doesn't give a fuck about horror fiction. He only borrowed names and images from Chambers et al because "the yellow king" sounds so much mysterious and evokative than "oh, they practice some voodoo shit" or "they are satanists."

Anyway, I'm halfway sure that even a lot of people who write Lovecraftian fiction have never actually read Lovecraft. I'm reading "Autumn Cthulhu" and some stories are like, how the fuck is this even related to cthulhu, or autumn. I'm looking at you, Laird Barron, and your stupid story "andy kaufman creeping through the trees."
>>
File: Beksinski-3.jpg (835KB, 1050x1071px) Image search: [Google]
Beksinski-3.jpg
835KB, 1050x1071px
>>8934840
Lovecraft is great. When he wrote that something is indescribable and causes madness I imagine a mix of Wayne Barlowe/H.R.Giger/Zdzisław Beksiński paintings. If I would see such shit irl or dream about it every night I'd go nuts too.
Also I'm looking for a book called
Death of a Gentleman: The Last Days of Howard Phillips Lovecraft. The book contains the journal of his intestine cancer progression, i assume that is some heavy stuff.
>>
>>8934840
There are people who actually """love""" Lovecraft?
>>
>>8934840
>>8934894
>>8935019
The TD guy ripped off Chambers, Ligotti and Alan Moore as much or more than Lovecraft. He's a hack.
https://lovecraftzine.com/2014/08/04/did-the-writer-of-true-detective-plagiarize-thomas-ligotti-and-others/
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.