[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this book worth reading? I don't really intend on reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 51me-a8zgcL.jpg (49KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
51me-a8zgcL.jpg
49KB, 333x500px
Is this book worth reading? I don't really intend on reading all 5 volumes but I am tempted to see what it's like because apparently the writing is beautiful.
>>
File: 1481588254823.gif (17KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
1481588254823.gif
17KB, 750x500px
>>8931821
>"is Proust, one of the most beloved and influential authors of all time, worth reading?"
>>
Is the Moncrieff translation best or is the Lydia Davis?
>>
File: IMG_1650.jpg (29KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1650.jpg
29KB, 320x320px
>>8931821
Yes, and you'll end up reading the rest
>>
YES. I'm on pg60 and it's already the best writing I've ever encountered.
>>
>>8932385
moncrieff of course!
>>
>>8932019
this, we have this thread every other week.

>>8932395
faggots like this are the worst. no you don't have a single clue what this book is about but you'll call it the best ever because you want to fit in. put in some effort.
>>
>>8931821
>5 volumes
In Search of Lost Time is 7 volumes

>>8932413
Fuck that, Lydia Davis or die
>>
>>8931821
Proust is aesthetic as fuck
>>
read the first two, can't say I'm too enthused about bothering with the next 5.
>>
>>8931821

Yes it's very much worth reading, but you have to read the whole thing. People who only read the first volume miss out on the fact that the novel as a whole does have a compelling plot that resolves beautifully (along with the themes explored) in the last volume, and that along the way the characters all change and deepen in marvelous ways.
>>
>>8932833
>you have to read over 4000 pages of a novel
Anon I have other books I want to read this year too. I've been averaging about 10 pages a day of crime and punishment so far.
>>
>>8931821
Get through at least Combray, and then see how you feel. The Davies is a good choice.
>>
>>8932509
but she only did the first volume, muh continuity.
>>
>>8932833
But damn, how many pages are in total? I read it over the course of several years, particularly summer vacations. It would take a marathonic effort to read all the volumes in a row and in a reasonable amount of time
>>
>>8932833
Plus the last volume is best.
>>
I really want to read it but I am too poor to buy it all at once and I am not gonna pussy it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.