[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the patrician way to approach a creative writing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 475869674939.jpg (112KB, 1200x500px) Image search: [Google]
475869674939.jpg
112KB, 1200x500px
What's the patrician way to approach a creative writing course at a university? I am taking one to satisfy an exit requirement.
>>
>>8930748
When you write godawful trash, don't ask anyone to spend any more time on it than absolutely necessary. If people give you notes, accept them humbly instead of trying to defend your "vision."

The absolute worst thing about creative writing courses are the people who will tell you that you "didn't get what they were trying to do" when everyone is already being nice enough to not call it trash outright.

All that said, the true patrician move is to not tear down your classmates even when they have it coming.
>>
>>8930748
Don't try to be too deep. I did one as an elective in my BSc and got a High Distinction for it.

Lots of people will want to write about Tumblrisms and BLM type shit, or tell a whole story when the criteria asks for a "flash fiction", or a rant when asked for a poem.

Understand narration styles and stick to one. Nothing worse than a story that goes from first person to third person present to past tense and then back again. Plus tricks like the unreliable narrator, dramatic irony, and so on.

Never use a thesaurus. If you're not familiar enough with a word that it's in your vocabulary already, don't use it. People can tell.
>>
Prepare yourself to read some of the worst shit you've ever read in your life and then couch your critique of it in niceties and positive rephrasings.
>>
>>8930748

Just have fun and volunteer to read your shit often. Don't be mean to people and don't be arrogant.
>>
>>8930789
>>8930791
>>8930822
>>8930843
Solid advice, thanks boys
>>
>>8930748
>patrician
>creative writing course
>>
Literally no great author in the history of literature has taken a creative writing course. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>8932112
Flannery O'Connor, Iowa Writer's Workshop
>>
>>8932471
Only wrote corncobby Papist short stories (short stories being the Diet Coke of literature) and Wise Blood was godawful. Who else ya got
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.