[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You may only post in this thread if you own multiple copies of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: more_than_one.jpg (73KB, 1682x946px) Image search: [Google]
more_than_one.jpg
73KB, 1682x946px
You may only post in this thread if you own multiple copies of any of the books in the meme trilogy.

Single-copy plebs, please stay out. I'm twice as good as you.
>>
>>8929856
nice glad to see you haven't read them.
>>
I own four copies of infinite jest
>>
>>8929873
Are you allowed to post here?
>>
>>8929856
isn't the 1922 text the one with a million typos and mistakes? i have the oxford portrait of the artist so they'd match but idk
i have 2666 in English, Spanish and Chinese
>>
>>8929944
>isn't the 1922 text the one with a million typos and mistakes
Yes, but it was the only one at B&N that had annotations (which mention the errata, and I think "a million" is definitely an overstatement from what I've seen so far). Bought it on an impulse because the copy underneath it was lacking.
>>
>>8929966
I want to clarify what I meant by "lacking": verses from songs are included in-paragraph indistinguishable from the prose. And there's no way to demarcate the episodes.

(I didn't personally buy the bottom one.)
>>
>>8929856

Brothers Karamazov
-MacAndrew: have read
-Garnett/rev. Matlaw: have read
-McDuff: have read
-P&V: will read Avsey, then Magarshack, then the newer revision of Garnett, then the original Russian, then still won't read
>>
>>8931552
Do you think you've familiarized yourself enough with the text that you can make a judgment on the quality of the different translations? I don't mean the fidelity of the translation, I just mean the style/tone of the translator and their word choice and sentence construction? I'm mostly interested in the MacAndrew and McDuff translations.
>>
>>8929856
I own two copies of all the books that should be the lit trilogy: Moby-Dick, the karamazov brothers and Lolita
>>
>>8929856
only book in the trilogy worth having even a single copy of, let alone multiple, is ulysses

so you might as well just ask who has multiple ulysses editions (wherein different editions actually make a difference)

you're missing a revised edition (ideally 1961) and a gabler edition
>>
>>8931994
what's the best edition for a beginner like me
>>
What books make up the lit /trilogy/
>>
>>8932142
ulysses, gravity's rainbow and infinite jest
or
the recognitions, women & men and 2666
>>
>>8931835

I thought the MacAndrew was very good. It's a looser translation, so he was going for the spirit of the book instead of a literal rendering, and it reads quite nicely.
I had been looking forward to the McDuff because I had seen so much praise, and while it was good I didn't think it was quite as amazing as I was led to believe. The main thing was it seemed stuffy at times and somewhat awkward. I think McDuff was going for a more literal translation. Not that the translation was bad or anything, I still recommend it, it just didn't live up to the hype (as few things do).
Matlaw's revision of Garnett was nice to read too. From what I understand of Avsey, how he was a Russian lit professor and translated nobody but Dostoyevsky, his translation is the one I'm most interested in looking at next.
>>
>>8931552
that's not part of the meme trilogy
>>
>>8932126
first revision of course!
>>
>>8932392

Oh lel that's right, I was thinking about my own personal trilogy I came up with instead
>>
>>8932126
a beginner won't be able to tell the difference so just get one that has good typesetting and is easy to read.

gabler or the modern library hardcover are both good options
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.