[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you read the introductions or get straight to the story?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1418.png (496KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1418.png
496KB, 633x758px
Do you read the introductions or get straight to the story?

I usually give up reading the introduction by page 5
>tfw your copy of Meditations has the introduction comprising 1/4th of the whole book.
>>
If it's a work I know the plot to, I read the whole introduction first.

If it's a work I don't know the plot to, I read only so far in the introduction as to where the author begins talking about the story. Then I stop and read the story, then go back and read the introduction.
>>
Do you have the Penguin Classics one? I'm working through the same introduction. That has 3 pages of footnotes for the fucking introduction.
>>
Usually I'd say its whatever.

But for Meditations, read the fucking introduction if you don't have a basic understanding of Marcus as a person, and Stoic philosophy + the other influences.
>>
>>8929661
Penguin classics version of the Epic of Gilgamesh is 50% introduction.
>>
Straight to the story.

Introductions seem to delight in spoiling every goddamn thing that happens in the novel.
>>
>>8929919
>caring about spoilers outside of cheap entertainment
>>
File: CYeFNPDU0AA2WHM.jpg (22KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
CYeFNPDU0AA2WHM.jpg
22KB, 400x388px
>>8929940
>missing out on a major part of literature

I pity you.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.